Changing who I'm authenticated as on a networked machine

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey all,
I'm getting really frustrated with how difficult it is to change who you're authenticated as on a network share in Windows.

I'm a PC guy, but using a Mac is so much easier when it comes to this - if I'm authenticated as Bob to server "Server" and I want to be authenticated as Jane, I just have to click "Connect As" or "Disconnect / Reconnect" in the finder window. In Windows, once you've authenticated, you're stuck until you logout of the machine and log back in.

Our server doesn't ask for authentication until you open a specific folder - so if you just access the server, the client happily shows the list of shared printers and folders... but now that it's authenticated as a guest, if I open any share it says I don't have permission.

-Rhys

click tool
map network drive
enter network path,
select connect as a different user.

the reason it's easier on a mac is because of the way that macs are built to be more standalone type devices, whilst windows machines are meant to be used in a business environment where you'd want users to be connecting to resources as the person that they were rather than as their friend etc, and grant resource access to individuals on resources.

^That ususally won't work...at least in my experience. If you are already connected to the server as a user, then it won't let you connect again as another user. I don't know anyway around this so I just logout/in and deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom