Ok I Messed Up & Need Some Help

Rocky3789

Baseband Member
Ok this is the situation, please READ EVERYTHING. Thanks in advance. Anyways, I was once using Vista and was getting frustrated with my media sharing to my 360 from my pc, it just stopped working. So i thought "hey why dont i downgrade by to xp and do an update back to Vista again to see if that would solve my media sharing problem". So i popped in the original XP OS that i got from Dell and attempted to do a downgrade. Everything seems to be going ok then every now and then it saying it cannot copy certain files and gave me the option to skip it. So i was like sure why not even though it gave a warning about there might be problems if i were to skip them. Anyways, this is were I'm at. When my PC boots up it boots off the CD and this ies what happens in the order that it happens

1. Win XP comes up

2. Blue screen comes up then top left corner it says setup is being restarted.

3. Next screen has the steps that i've completed.
  • Completing Information
  • Dynamic Update
  • Preparing Installation
Steps not completed
  • Installing Windows
  • Finalizing Installation

4. Window comes up titled:Fatal Error
  • An Error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing
  • One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed
  • Access Denied
  • Press OK to view setup log file

5. After pressing OK

6. Window comes up titled:System Setup Log-(C:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log
  • Error: Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms. Error Message: Access is denied.
  • Fatal Error: One of the components that Windows needs to continue setups could not be installed. Access is denied.
  • Fatal Error: One of the components that Windows needs to continue setups could not be installed. Access is denied.
  • Fatal Error: One of the components that Windows needs to continue setups could not be installed. The operation was canceled by the user.
  • Fatal Error: One of the components that Windows needs to continue setups could not be installed. The operation was canceled by the user.
7. Close windows and repeats steps 1-7 over and over without stopping

I f anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it. Also i was thinking if i should just scrap the hard drive with that i tried to downgrade to and try to use my second drive that i had formatted before hand and try to do a clean upgrade to XP as if i were building this PC. By doing this i was thinking about downloading Windows XP from internet and putting it on a CD then doing the clean install from there and then do the Vista upgrade afterward to the second drive.

Have you tried starting over with a freshly formatted hard drive?

Looks like your cd is scratched.

how can i format the disk when my pc load loads up and performs steps 1-7 over and over. The only other drive i have is my secondary drive that i was using for my media files and it was formatted before i tried to downgrade on the stock drive with the original OS. Or is there a way i can still format the stock drive

thats wat i did the first time and that why im in this situation and it seems like i cant get out of it

Do it again the it will have a menu that asks about formatting and reformat the disk to NTFS. Do the slow method.

Or if windows installer is seriously stupid enough to not be able to start over, use a gparted livecd to format the disk.

ok got it to boot off the disk again and it got back to the point where it says setup cannot copy the file: cmnicfg.xml

and press enter to retry
esc to skip: thats waht i did last time and it got me into trouble so i wont be doing that again
or f3 to quit

im trying to retry but it still pops up

ok got it to boot off the disk again and it got back to the point where it says setup cannot copy the file: cmnicfg.xml

and press enter to retry
esc to skip: thats waht i did last time and it got me into trouble so i wont be doing that again
or f3 to quit

im trying to retry but it still pops up

ok so in the above quote i tried to repair xp first which led me to the point where it says it cannot copy the file: cmnicfg.xml. I quit that and booted up again this time im tryin to format the slow way. im at about 21% so no i wait ill let u know if there are any hic-ups along the way

Is your disk scratched?

not really, its got a couple scratches but nothing too serious. btw thanks for helping me out

If it still foils, it means your disk is bad.

You can try to salvage it a number of ways. The ones that have worked for me (these will sound crazy) are rubbing the transparent type of toothpaste on it IF it isn't gritty, a banana, and believe it or not, a translucent clay. Get it worked into the scratches then try to install. I usually use this method to salvage the disks to create a backup.

Back
Top Bottom