NEW Installing Linux Guide (New)

I'm using Windows 7 and really like it, I think I've heard I can have two OS on one computer? If I install Linux would it replace my current OS or could I have both?

Nice Post, I must say Linux is far better then any other OS.
I had recently switch Ubuntu from the Windows Vista. and it is great.
Ubuntu is free and open source, It is really very user friendly.

I found more security in Ubuntu compare to Windows.
I think People must have to choose Linux now.

hello guys, may I install a Linux version in a netbook Samsung and if it is so, which version?

hello guys, may I install a Linux version in a netbook Samsung and if it is so, which version?

Any distro will work, but I highly recommend debian. You can also use ubuntu + unetbootin if you do not have a USB cd drive and do not want to do a network install, but ubuntu is a bit of a mess lately.

Any distro will work, but I highly recommend debian. You can also use ubuntu + unetbootin if you do not have a USB cd drive and do not want to do a network install, but ubuntu is a bit of a mess lately.
I'd disagree and say go with Ubuntu. In my experience it's far easier to set up than Debian most of the time and I've had far better success with recommending it to newcomers than other distros (Debian included.) There's also a vast quantity of community support around for Ubuntu; much more than any other distro. Helpful if you get stuck.

That said, everyone will have different ideas of what you should try - there's not really 1 right answer. Pick something you think you like and go with it :)

Ubuntu and debian are the same to install, they use the same installer.

Except once debian is installed, you're good. Just begin installing your programs. They even have ubuntu's GUI installer ported in case someoe does not want to use a terminal.

With ubuntu, you have to go find all your codecs and install them through a terminal, not the easiest thing if you are a compete noob to Linux. I am also confused by ubuntu's lack of ability to login as root. Sudo is not appropriate for everything.

Fair enough - in that case Debian's moved on significantly since I last played around with it!

Whilst sudo isn't appropriate for everything though it is for the vast majority of tasks - and you're far more likely to stuff up your system if you're new to Linux using su than sudo. It's not that difficult to enable it if you know what you're doing; it's enabled on my box but I rarely use it.

Except once debian is installed, you're good. Just begin installing your programs. They even have ubuntu's GUI installer ported in case someoe does not want to use a terminal.

With ubuntu, you have to go find all your codecs and install them through a terminal, not the easiest thing if you are a compete noob to Linux. I am also confused by ubuntu's lack of ability to login as root. Sudo is not appropriate for everything.

No you don't...you can find most of it with the GUI.

That said, Linux Mint takes care of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom