Weird internet browsing issue. Please help.

reset your wireless router and disable then re-enable your wireless adapter.

usually works for me if my connection is being 'reset' constantly.
A good suggestion if he hasn't tried it already and the problem's only been occuring for a few minutes - however the nature of the question leads me to believe this is a recurring problem not just an intermittent one!

As for pinging it from the command prompt, go to start => run, type in cmd, hit enter, then type
Code:
ping google.com
on the command line and see if you get a result. As well as checking if you get any responses, can you also check whether it displays an IP address for google.com? It's possible it's a DNS issue if it doesn't.

If you plug your laptop directly into the router with an ethernet cable rather than using wireless, does that make any difference?

If you plug your laptop directly into the router with an ethernet cable rather than using wireless, does that make any difference?

nooo. my desktop and laptop share this same problem. my desktop is connected directly to the modem.

It's weird that both laptop and desktop have this problem. It's even weirder he can ping it but can't access it from Firefox or IE.

Next step might be to take your laptop to a WiFi hotspot and see if you can access it from there. That will let us know if it's a laptop setting problem or if it's something with your ISP/Router/Modem.

Also just thought of something else: Have you download any files or anything? It's possible something that you've downloaded or a site you've visited "hijacked" your browser and is re-routing your browser. I know you said you ran 'scans' but what i HIGHLY recommend is that you download and run MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE. It's the best program I've seen at removing spyware and adware. It finds things that all the other programs i've tried didn't.

I'd recommend getting a computer that's not yours (perhaps get a friend round) and then get them to connect. If they manage to ok, then it seems a site you've visited has infected both your desktop and laptop, which is entirely possible if you've visited the same rogue site on both PCs or the virus has spread across your network.

I would guess the above is what has happened.

If however they have the same issues as you then this is rather strange - can you try swapping out the router? I've known dying ones to do strange things (never to specific sites yet but there's a first time for everything!)

Failing that, have a word to your ISP - it's very unlikely, but just about possible there's something very strange going on their end.

Back
Top Bottom