can't get passowd off

oscer1

Solid State Member
hello, i have 4 computers on a network. i can see all the computers. having problems with laptop running vista, when i goto sharing center and share folders it has requires password i want to take that off but can't figure out how to to do this none of the other computers are that way. thanks

i figured it out finnaly

jumped the gun. thought i figured it ou but nope i did not. stil comes up looking for a password

when i got network click on the laptop asking for a password i took off password requires on sharing files and printer but still when i click on the laptop it asks for a password

You have to go into the Network & Sharing Center and mess with the sharing options. I think they all need to be turned on. I don't use Vista much so I can't tell you off the top of my head which options need adjusted but I've used it enough to know that that setting is somewhere in there. It might be something like allow guest accounts or something similar. The other thing you might have to do is go to the file you are sharing and add 'everyone' to the security list.

sorry to inform you but that is not it. i can see and get files from the other two and the laptop is setup the same as other to desktops. i know there should be an easy explanation why cant access files on the laptop

I don't 100% understand your answer.
Are the other computers running Vista? What I'm trying to say is that in my experience with networking Vista, you have to really 'unsecure' everything. Microsoft overdid the security as opposed to XP, in my opinion. I've had issues like this as well and in the Network and Sharing Center I had to adjust the settings so that 'Everyone' had full rights and so that all the settings where set to the least secure they could go.

Without seeing the issue that is the most help I can give. Sorry it didn't solve your problem.

i am not sure neither i have averything steup correctly i can get file from another computer to the laptop but with the windoows 7 computer thats only one i can get it to open o get files keeps coming up to enter a password, i tryied every password i know of that i would of used but still will not let me access the laptop

Back
Top Bottom