Building a Home Server

You should go with ubuntu server - it's great and easy to use. You just have to do "sudo apt-get install openssh-server" then after its done, do ifconfig (in the terminal of course) then get the I.P and ssh into it. If you are on windows you can use putty from

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

I think this is why I'll have to go with XP.

That was a completely different language, mate. :D :confused:

Um. Yeah. It's what I know. It's what I understand.

And it'll be used to link up 3 PCs. I don't need nothing too fancy. XP has always "worked". In fact, all Windows I've ever used have always "worked". I haven't found much to complain about, to be honest. At least I know what I'm doing with Windows. I know next to nothing about Linux.

Hey, will my performance (downloading to the server and streaming to other computers) be hindered if I install the O/S on an older 40GB IDE drive and then use a new 1TB drive for the file storage and whatnot? Or should I install the O/S on the same drive as storage? Common sense would tell me that if they are separated, that'd be better.

Hey, will my performance (downloading to the server and streaming to other computers) be hindered if I install the O/S on an older 40GB IDE drive and then use a new 1TB drive for the file storage and whatnot? Or should I install the O/S on the same drive as storage? Common sense would tell me that if they are separated, that'd be better.
It'd take a bit of a hit just because you're using a slower drive, but chances are it's not something you'd notice. I'd definitely recommend keeping them separate though regardless - if nothing else it means you can wipe your OS really easily without ever touching the data drive. If you're running windows and therefore may see the need to reinstall every so often, this will be especially useful!

It'd take a bit of a hit just because you're using a slower drive, but chances are it's not something you'd notice. I'd definitely recommend keeping them separate though regardless - if nothing else it means you can wipe your OS really easily without ever touching the data drive. If you're running windows and therefore may see the need to reinstall every so often, this will be especially useful!

Almost exactly what I was thinking. Or if I ever for some reason wanted to try a different server OS, it would be very very simple.

Using WINDOWS for a server? Thats probably the worst thing you could ever do

care to say why?

Sounds like a fan boy rant to me. -windows server OS's do in fact make excellent servers, -ESPECIALLY for the home market.

Back
Top Bottom