Can not acces internet with router plugged in

JONNYTWO

Baseband Member
Hello.

It started yesterday. I have been unable to access the internet with my router in the chain of things. If i unplug my router and plug my cable modem directly to my computer, I can access the net fine ( as you can see).

I dont know why this is..

My LAC TCP/IP is as follows

----

Thats how its always been, but i cant access the net anymore while its plugged up.

Any suggestions? beingi have a cable that runs from the router and into my moms room so she can access the net..

thx

Is this a new router or where u able to access the net from it before?

Are you able to connect to the router (hardwired) and login to it to change the settings?

Try a power cycle. Unplug both the modem and router for about 30 seconds. Plug the modem in, wait 10-15 seconds and plug the router in.

Call your ISP to see if you need to have any special setting in your rotuer (like a PPPoE username and password or a static IP address).

You probably need to power cycle all your devices, them plug them into one another.

I'm guessing your an amateur computer user, and have yet to follow the primary rule to troubleshooting. POWER CYCLE.

You probably just disconnected your PC from the modem and then connected the router without cycling the modem. The network had already assigned the MAC address of your PC an IP address. Modems usually don't go requesting a new IP after one has been assigned. The MAC addresses of your router and PC are unique, therefore you will not get another WAN IP address assigned to the router.

1)unplug modem and router, as well as any wireless access points and network switches.
(in my experience, i've seen switches hold info longer than they should, which can cause problems)

2)Restart Computer (the clear and DNS and DHCP issues)

3)Plug in cable modem and wait 1 min for it to do its thing.

4)Plug in router.

5)Plug the PC into the router.

If you have to power cycle frequently....something is wrong. Power Cycle is your friend though, and is the first step to troubleshooting any major computer problem.

Back
Top Bottom