A Usb Gps

ace777

Fully Optimized
I need to know if its possible to use a USB GPS dongle in conjunction with something like google maps in order to get turn by turn directions. I have looked on google a bit and none say for certain. Also can I use any GPS dongle or are there ones that will only work with certain softwares.

My guess is not all GPS dongles will work with all software - it's possible I'm wrong, but I certainly wouldn't assume the above. As far as I know there's no USB / GPS standard protocol that every device uses, so different devices (especially across different manufacturers) may behave very differently.

I had a quick Google around and came up with this - is something like that what you're after? Not sure it'd work with Google maps but it seems like it comes with its own software that does turn by turn navigation.

To link a GPS with Google Earth you need to purchase the commercial version of the software. The hard part is not finding a GPS unit, there are standard protocols out there. I think the hard part would be finding software that is good.

I have a GlobalSat BU-353 USB GPS unit which can be bought for around $40. I use it for wardriving.

Back
Top Bottom