recovery disc>no boot

donfriesen

Beta member
Emachines xp home. After running the recovery disc in destructive recovery mode a boot is supposed to take place when alt/ctrl/del are chosen. No response happens at this command other than a view of "e" logo and a return to instructions to press alt/ctrl/del. The lines above this line state:
verifying dmi pool data...
boot from cd
NTLDR is compressed

Manually shutting down and restarting computer does nothing to resolve.
f2 takes me to Bios cmos setup utility(I have no knowledge how to use this)
f10 takes me to boot first device menu( ditto on this too)
f12takes me to stuff about intel and etherenet adapter

On first destructive recovery attempt the internet cable was attached . Other recovery attempts were made : destructive with and without backup as well as repair recovery.

Any help would be appreciated, with thanks.

On advice I received I used 'dban' software to wipe my hard drive clean. Then using a recovry disc at the command prompt I type
cd \
attrib -c ntldr
exit
Please note: I placed a space after 'cd', as well as after 'attrib' and '-c'

I don't get a possitive response when I hit 'enter'. 'The parameter is not valid' is the message. Any help would be appreciated.

!XP WORKING! Thanks to everyone who contributed advice, especially "the doctor".

Here's what worked to get it working. I used dban to wipe the hard drive clean. After the wipe I tried to use a recovery disc created from a download from a website. No luck with that. I ran the recovery disc supplied by emachines, which came with the purchase of my computer. Success!

Back
Top Bottom