Left 4 Dead 2 spontaneously crashing?

foothead

Omnicide now.
My brother just got left for dead 2 and we installed it on the htpc, but it keeps crashing for seemingly no reason every couple minutes. I've updated the game, read the error log, updated drivers, ran windows update, but nothing. Any ideas, because I am completely lost here. The program just ends for no reason with no message or anything.

Specs are:
AMD phenom 9600
ECS A780GXM-A
4GB DDR2 1333 Mhz
ATI HD 4850 x2 2gb
OCZ gameXstream 700 watt PSU
Windows XP pro 32 bit
nothing else thats relevant

EDIT: last time, instead of just returning to windows, it made a weird crunching noise and then rebooted...

Maybe your GPU is on it's way out or overheating. Try running speedfan or something similar to see how hot your GPU gets while running the game.

it never gets over 60C, and its a fairly new graphics card.
This happened with the first l4d but quit when i installed a UPS. I currently have the computer plugged into its own circuit, but it still keeps crashing.

It'd take me about 30 minutes just to get this stupid card out of the case.... its too darn big for a mid tower..... and then its nearly impossible to get it back in place without damaging something.

The card can pass every stability test I can throw at it, its just this one game that fails every time... is this common?

It seems EVERYONE is having this problem... FAIL
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030478&page=2

Back
Top Bottom