No cursor in Word after Windows Update!

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Okay....seriously need some help here guys. I can't click anywhere in Word. I can type and all that, but I can't move the cursor with the mouse...I can only move it with the directional keys. Big problem. Big paper I have to type this weekend. I just noticed the problem. My computer restarted last night by itself due to a Windows Update and I had 2 Word windows open at the time...I didn't notice that there was a problem till now, and that's the only thing I can think of that would have caused the problem. Anyone had this happen before? I'm wondering if I can save a reinstall of office....ugh.

Also, I just noticed that certain things aren't working as well. Like when you type "--" and then type a word it turns those two double dashes into one long one?...it's not doing that. Like if I typed "wordone--wordtwo" that double dash should automatically go to a single dash...and it's not. Ugh. I wonder how a windows update botched this thing. FML.

EDIT: Also, I should note it's not that I don't have a cursor in Word...it's that when I click, it doesn't MOVE the cursor (so can't highlight either).

You could try this:

In start, type regedit. Then find this folder
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data

Rename the folder "olddata" and close the registry editor.
Try Microsoft Word. That should fix it. Word will create a new Data
folder. The updates corrupted the old one.

If that doesn't work you might have to reinstall word

do you have any other word pad or anything like that?

If you do you could also save the file as a "RICH TEXT FORMAT" which will allow the document to be opened in other programs and then finish it that way.

FRICKIN' GENIUS POKER!!! FRICKIN' GENIUS.

Thank you so much. This takes a lot of hassle off of my hands. Ugh. So glad that worked. I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom