Wireless Internet (blocking other computers)

kieron011

Beta member
Hi there

I have very little computer knowledge. Basically i bought a computer last year, with what i thought was a decent setup up, purely for the odd game and generally internet use.
It is fantastic and super quick for my needs. Before i go to the problem, im running vista home premium, 1tb drive, 4gb ram.

I wont to be able to filter or stop internet to other computers in my house.
Basically i bought my computer and the wireless router and setup and paid for the internet in my house.
Since then my parents have now got a computer and so has my sister. They have both joined the wifi.

Due to work the only real time i spend on the computer is in the evening. I like to play a online, so i need to have the internet as quick as possible.
My connection is fine when one computer is on the internt. But when my sister sits on msn with 12 different web cam chats open and youtube and buffering a video. My usual gaming ping rises from 107 - 7k !!!.

It has been so frustrating, and being the younger bratty hormonal 15 yr old, she gets her own way, and my parents tell her to ignore my endless 'GET OFF THE F***ING INTERNET' cries!!.

Seeming as i PAY for the internet. I want to be able to use it WHEN I WANT.
Not when shes finished talking to friends about the comment, she just left on there bookspace or facebo account. Whilst laughing at their reaction on webcam. All night from 4.30pm - 2am (epescailly now with the holidays)

Basically i need a solution. I want to be able dictate her usage, without having a password or anything obvious to my parents. So it could almost seem like a dodgey connection to my cluless sister.

I want just stop her computer from reciveing wifi, on demand without actually having to go on her computer. But still enable my computer to recieve. Is this possible??

Depending on what kind of router you have (and if you have access to it) you can set up access schedules based on internal IP addresses or MAC addresses (MACs would work better since they have no possibility of changing without installing hardware). This way you wouldn't even have to have direct access to your sister's PC. Everything is set up through the router's web configuration page. Basically, you open up a web browser and type in the internal IP address of the router (most routers default to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). You'll have to know the username/password to get in. Google the model name/number of your router, download a manual and read up on it before trying anything and potentially cutting off everyone's internet (including your's).

I agree here. You'll want to do some MAC address filtering. Just be prepared for the fallout when she can't get online. But if you pay for it with your money then they shouldn't be able to use it unless you want them to.

I have a friend running into the same issue so he went to a different ISP, had them come in and setup their system and paid for it themselves. His parents wouldn't upgrade the speed of the internet so he went and bought something on his own. They had 2 modems in the house with 2 different ISP and it worked fine. He had his and his parents had theirs. Maybe you convince your parents to get their own ISP.

well if you pay for the net you should say who uses it and who doesnt
That was a bit of a useless post regardless, but on a thread a few months old?!

Back
Top Bottom