Windows Server 2003 FTP help

CarpeNoctem

Daemon Poster
Hello everyone. About a year ago I set up a server for my company. I used Windows Server 2003. I have it set up as a domain controller, dns server, file server, remote access/vpn server, and dhcp server.

Today we need to allow someone from another company to access our system to transfer files, but their IT department has made them afraid to use our VPN.

I am trying to set up an FTP server. I installed an application server (IIS) and configured the FTP server. It works fine over the LAN, but I can't seem to get it to work over the internet. Our internet goes from the modem to a router. The only thing hardwired to the router is the server. Then I have 2 NIC's, one for internet acces (which works fine) and another for the LAN.

It was to my understanding that I forward ports 20 and 21 to the Internet NIC, then the server will try to find the FTP site (which is the same address as the LAN NIC)

Internet NIC IP = 192.168.0.199
LAN NIC IP = 192.168.0.2
FTP address = 192.168.0.2 (also tried 0.199 and external IP)
D-Link DIR-655 Router forwards ports 20 and 21 to 0.199 (also tried 0.2)
and tried adding ports 20 and 21 to the virtual server list directed to 0.199 (and of course tried 0.2)

To sum it up, LAN users can successfully connect to the FTP server. But, it wont connect over the internet :(

Any suggestions?

That's a good guess, but before Server 2003 I had a Windows XP machine with one of those click and it works FTP servers. I think it was WinFTP Server, which is now Wing FTP Server.

Also one thing... my forward lookup zone is .local

So would I have to change my domain to .net or .com to make this work? I would only think this needs to happen if I were to put a website on the internet, but I could easily be mistaken

ok...

lets get this straight, you have.
internet line.
this terminates at a modem.
the modem is connected to a router
the router is connected to a server
the server is connected to the internal network
the FTP server is on the internal network?

The internal network can connect to the FTP server just fine. so you know that the FTP Server works.

do you have any firewall software on the server that connects to the router that connects to the internet?

Basically you'll need to have your router, if there is a firewall on it like there is on may home networks forward FTP traffic to the red interface of the server that connects to this router.

that server will need to have some firewall type program on it to further NAT the traffic and forward it to your FTP server. though it's internal (green) interface.

No firewall on the server. The only firewall is the one built into the router. I have forwarded the ports, with no luck. I kind of forgot about NAT, which sounds like could be the source of my problems. I have set it up, but I think for only the internal network.

Thanks man, you've opened my eyes!

side note that sounds like a bit too many services to be running on a single machine....i really wouldn't be doing remote access on my PDC, you might want to think about seperating some of these in the future.

as pointed out your main issue sounds like a firewall/router config issue.

Back
Top Bottom