what should i do . .

Their stock has gone up 300% or so in hte last couple months to name one thing... And they got BIG plans.

Their stock has gone up 300% or so in hte last couple months to name one thing... And they got BIG plans.

What's your point? Big plans don't mean squat when you don't implement them.

Ford isn't in a great position right now. Just because they haven't participated in the auto bailout plan doesn't mean they're ahead of other car makers. Just compare them to Toyota.

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=TM
http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=F

If you want to invest in them, go right ahead. No one's stopping you.

Look at Toyota stock. 80+ a stock, and from the charting, it looks consistent over the past year. The lowest its been over the 3 year is around 55 per stock. The highest? Around 130. Now lets look at Ford, which is my favorite automaker. Their stock is cheap. Around 7 per stock. But look at the volume of it. Toyota only has around 400K shares. Ford has the market saturated. almost 50M (thats right, 50 million) shares. This isn't looking at avg. volume, this is just plain volume. The lowest Ford stock has dropped? 1 per share.

Lets do some math. Not including dividends or other earnings on the stock, and not considering buying the stock will raise the price.

If you invested in Toyota during the financial meltdown, say 2500 shares. 2500x55 = 137,500. Say you bought the same 2500 shares now. 2500x80 = 200,000. For one year, that is impressive.

Ford: lets do 10,000 shares. 10,000x1 = 10,000. 10,000x7 = 70,000.

Lets go ahead and do Ford @ 2500. 2500x1 = 2500. 2500 x 7 = 17,500.

Now, a little more math. 200,000 - 137,500 = 62,500. That is how much you would have earned on 2500 shares in Toyota.

Ford: 70,000 - 10,000 = 60,000.

Ford @ 2500: 17,500 - 2500 = 15000.

A 15,000 gain vs a 62,500 gain. Take your pick.

All in all, if you are a short term investor, I'd invest in Ford, but very little. If you are a seasoned stock market veteran or long term investor, Toyota would be you. It appears as if you would have to buy nearly 4 times as much Ford stock to make as much as Toyota stock.

+rep 01001010 for bringing up a very good point. - Never mind, gotta spread.

I don't agree with those that say wait till you have a need to spend it, or wait till there's a concrete reason. Sometimes you save up money specifically for the aim of being in a position to spend it openly.

And investing in a company AFTER there stock has risen 300 percent is not how the stocks game works, the more they have risen already the less space they have to rise again and the further they have to fall.

Ford may have seen the second most sales increase thanks to C4C (second to Hyundai) but that doesn't mean they are on top. Top of the domestics? Yes. They also are going to have a monopoly on larger trucks soon too. But there are still a bunch of people who have a grudge against domestics.

If the money came from no where and was a shock, save it.

Since he's asking how to spend it, he didn't have a reason to save up, so again, he should save it.

Or, put it another way; don't go blowing the whole lot. If you need to buy something, buy it, but if you haven't got that much money apart from what you have just earnt, I simply wouldn't spend it.

The rule tends to go, in this household anyway, that if one electronic item breaks, 4 more are to go with it later on.
It's best to have a fund for problems like that.

If you feel compelled to spend it on something then I would suggest you do something nice for your friends. Or better yet, an act of kindness for some one that needs a helping hand. Buy some school supplies or a toy for a child.
Money you spend on yourself may make you happy for a while but that fades with time.
An act of kindness lives on forever.

Back
Top Bottom