Moving to USA

cantona

Daemon Poster
Hi everyone,

I have lived in Australia all my life but have always wanted to move to the United States and become a permanent resident. I was wondering how hard is it to do this and how long does it take? I would need to work when I moved over to support myself, can I do this?

Regards,
Cantona

Yes you can do this. The fastest way would be to get a work visa but first you need someone that will hire you. They will submit all the paperwork for you. It will cost them some money so it might be difficult to find someone that will give you a job.

You can also get a student visa but you can't work and must show you can pay your tuition and support yourself.

If you are in country for 3 years or more, you can apply for citizenship.

You can always do what I did also, and that is marry a US citizen.

For more information about a work visa, go here ... http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=24b0a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD.

Best of luck - Larisa

Larisa;982000If you are in country for 3 years or more said:
Wrong. You need to be in the United States for 10 years before applying for citizenship in which 5 of the latter you cannot leave the country.

Wrong. You need to be in the United States for 10 years before applying for citizenship in which 5 of the latter you cannot leave the country.

Really? I have only lived in the US for about 12 years, and my parents got it when I was round the 6th/7th grade, and now I am a sophomore in college. So my parents took their citizenship test before 10 years and passed. From what I have researched, you only need 5 years in which you are an permanent resident in the US, 3 if you are married to an US citizen.
I don't know where you got the 10 from. Unless it's new or something.

Perhaps Joga is confusing visas with green cards. When you first arrive you get a 2 year green card. Then you renew for a 10 year green card. At least this is how it is for me, marrying a citizen. And yes, I can apply for citizenship after being a permanent resident (having a green card) for 3 years.

Hi everyone,

I have lived in Australia all my life but have always wanted to move to the United States and become a permanent resident. I was wondering how hard is it to do this and how long does it take? I would need to work when I moved over to support myself, can I do this?

Regards,
Cantona

What's wrong with Australia? You're probably better off there than you would be if you came over here. I'm sure it probably looks cool on TV, but few people actually live like that here. I heard that the quality of life is better where you are anyway. At least prostitution is legal there...

Really? I have only lived in the US for about 12 years, and my parents got it when I was round the 6th/7th grade, and now I am a sophomore in college. So my parents took their citizenship test before 10 years and passed. From what I have researched, you only need 5 years in which you are an permanent resident in the US, 3 if you are married to an US citizen.
I don't know where you got the 10 from. Unless it's new or something.

That is correct, but if you factor in the 5 years it will take you to get a greencard (this is how long it took us) it becomes 10 years. The process has been severely slowed ever since you know who decided it was best to give illegal immigrants a chance to get one. :rolleyes:

You must train yourself on how to become a arse.
It takes years of practice to perfect. xD

But no really, as stated above it will take a while depending on your circumstances. Getting a job here is kind of hard for Americans let alone soon to be Americans. You are on a computer forum so usually that means you are some type of I.T. So if that is the case you are in luck. Because upon job searching I have found COUNTLESS jobs for nurses and I.T.

Yes you can do this. The fastest way would be to get a work visa but first you need someone that will hire you. They will submit all the paperwork for you. It will cost them some money so it might be difficult to find someone that will give you a job.

You can also get a student visa but you can't work and must show you can pay your tuition and support yourself.

If you are in country for 3 years or more, you can apply for citizenship.

You can always do what I did also, and that is marry a US citizen.

For more information about a work visa, go here ... http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=24b0a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD.

Best of luck - Larisa

Can you apply for the work visa yourself or does it have to the new employer?

Back
Top Bottom