Fire pit

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
I need something to have a fire in. I'm trying to do this on the cheap, and short of borrowing a friend's, does anyone have any suggestions on some house hold stuff I could use to have a fire in? I'm thinking something that can hold about 4 average sized logs (6" diameter, 16" long or so)

You could did a big hole in your backyard. :D Me and my friend did that for a summer activity. Turned out very nicely actually though it did take us the better part of two whole weeks to get it fully finished.

got an old steel drum kicking around? they work very nicely if you dont feel like digging or piling rocks.

If you don't have rocks and don't feel like digging a hole.

Take any thing but a hoe would work best. Make a six inch "moat" around an area where you want a fire.
Doesn't have to be deep at all, just enough to brush away burnables.

But of course there is always, Rock rings, fire bricks, digging a hole, an old truck rim, burn barrels, list goes on.

Hell you can even just make a large teepee or cabin fire with nothing around it.
Just make sure you have the right equipment to put it out if you need to.

(I am an old pyro and avid camper)

You can use the lid of a grill. I did that for quite a while at my old house. Worked really well. Scrape the sod off and dig down just a few inches until there is just a small lip around the lid. Then I threw in some dirt/sand to hold it in place. I had some old bricks around (actually they were part of the grill as when I moved in there was an old built in brick grill that was falling down and that is where I got the idea from) so I lined the outside edge with them. I used it like that for about 2 years until I moved.

I need something to have a fire in. I'm trying to do this on the cheap, and short of borrowing a friend's, does anyone have any suggestions on some house hold stuff I could use to have a fire in? I'm thinking something that can hold about 4 average sized logs (6" diameter, 16" long or so)

what everyone else said ^

but this isnt rocket science ;)

if your rich and wanna do it the city slicker way, just go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a fire ring lol

what everyone else said ^

but this isnt rocket science ;)

if your rich and wanna do it the city slicker way, just go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a fire ring lol

Yea, but it'll probably be used once and then left to sit and rust. (our last one, only we used it more than once) I'm thinking I'll just borrow a friend's. I've got a truck, so getting it isn't a problem at all.

Go to your local les schwab or tire place. There are a specific style of rim called a "California rim'' or a ''Widow Maker'' that is a very large two piece semi truck wheel.

They are phasing them out since sometimes they do not lock correctly, and they will kill you if you are airing it up.

Anyways.... they recycle these rims. They make a GREAT fire pit (not huge, but still great)

widowmaker_04.jpg

http://www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/widowmaker.html

That site shows a 5 lug version but you get the idea. They are old and slowly getting rid of them pair by pair. I personally have a semi truck one that is 10 lug (they are very common up here).

Anyways when you have the lug side down it kinda sits in the air, and the holes under it pull air through the fire

18609.5-20-1_small.JPG

See how well that'd work?

Back
Top Bottom