How to stick old HDD into new PC

I'm re-hashing this old thread b/s I was at my b-in-laws house yesterday and found out that some of his old files are not accessible. I havent used Vista (home premium) at all so I have no experience with it. Anyways, his old pictures and some other files/folders are all being locked out by Vista b/c they have no owner. If i try opening or copying an image for example I get a security warning and have to go through and try to reset the permissions on the file. Some I can do successfully, some not. I can't do more than one at a time and there are many that i need to get access too. How can i get around this? I tried disabling UAC in Vista and that didnt work. Any other ideas?

You have to 'take ownership' of the files. You should be able to take ownership of whole folders. I think something like this:
Right click folder>Properties>Security tab>Advanced button>Owner Tab>Edit button>Select your username>Check the box for 'repalce on all subcontainers and files>hit OK>OK>OK....until your back to the Security Window. Click Edit>Add>type in you username>Ok>Give 'FULL CONTROL'.

That's should give you full access to those files.

You have to 'take ownership' of the files. You should be able to take ownership of whole folders. I think something like this:
Right click folder>Properties>Security tab>Advanced button>Owner Tab>Edit button>Select your username>Check the box for 'repalce on all subcontainers and files>hit OK>OK>OK....until your back to the Security Window. Click Edit>Add>type in you username>Ok>Give 'FULL CONTROL'.

That's should give you full access to those files.

Thanks, this worked perfectly! I guess I need to start using Vista or Win7 to get used to all the changes.

Back
Top Bottom