Practice Soldering

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
What is a good thing to practice soldering on?
I want to do some trial runs before I actually solder stuff on the things I want.

I want to make my Wii like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut83xTqJX_A

and possibly other similar projects.

EDIT - Just saw a video, and just found out that the solder and soldering iron should not touch each other when actually soldering.

EDIT 2 - So I am looking up what I need, and these are what I have found.

Rosin-Core Solder (1.5 Oz.) - $3.89
25-Watt Soldering Pencil - $8.79
Third Hand Adjustable Parts Holder with Magnification - $7.99
Solder Remover - $??

If there are better parts or place to purchase these, then feel free to add or suggest.

EDIT - Just saw a video, and just found out that the solder and soldering iron should not touch each other when actually soldering.

That is a lie!
take it from me, if u did that, you would need one hell of a good heat shunt, or you would melt or fly just about every piece of surface mount equipment.

you should clean the area with Flux first,
then you should solder tin the components leads,

then put a drop of solder on the guns tip itself, to be able to transfer heat better,then insert the component into the board or area,

bend the leads how ever needed, then clip the leads to length,
but never after it is soldered! this can create bad connections.

Now solder the piece in place, but do not put to much on, leave a nice rounded teardrop shape once done.

to much can create electric jumps between solder jobs, and/or allow for increased dust build up.
J Standard Soldering, maybe you'v seen this vid

As far as removing solder goes your main options are a pump that literally sucks the solder off the board, and copper braid which you rub on the molten solder removing it.

I prefer the use of the copper braid which i find more handy to use but it is a consumable and so may bump up your costs.

To get good practice in, i recommend getting some strip board or veroboard and a bunch of cheap components like resistors to just put in and try soldering

you can practise with cheap veroboard and some lengths of wire, you don't need to solder components to practise, wire should be good enough.

if you're going to use surface mount components then there is no point in practising with wire except to get a feel of how quick the solder will melt.

as for not touching the solder and soldering iron...
you should just melt solder over the connection, you need to get the things that you are soldering hot as well so that the solder bonds properly and doesn't just sit on top, (else ou'll have dry joints).

but there are no rules that you shouldn't touch the soldering iron with the solder, and honestly depending on how thicker solder you actually get you may find that the solder has to touch the soldering iron to melt it.

That is a lie!
take it from me, if u did that, you would need one hell of a good heat shunt, or you would melt or fly just about every piece of surface mount equipment.

you should clean the area with Flux first,
then you should solder tin the components leads,

Yea, you are gonna put solder on the tip then use that to put it where you need it.

Also, you don't clean with flux first, that's just for plumbing, there is a reason you are using ROSIN CORE solder, that rosin core serves the same purpose as the flux.

Also, you don't clean with flux first, that's just for plumbing, there is a reason you are using ROSIN CORE solder, that rosin core serves the same purpose as the flux.

i was taught in my JSTD Cert to always clean with flux first, no matter if its cored solder or not, just good practice.

and for the love of god!
dont use silver solder! lol

and dont mix Pb solder with Ag Solder, just bad practice as well.

be careful with LEDs, Transisters, and Caps, as well.

Okay...

So then you guys make of list of what I should buy and where I should buy. I need tools and stuff to make the solder and to remove the solder.

Back
Top Bottom