Why does my internet works better with lower connection rate?

happygoluffy

Baseband Member
Hi, I have the DIMAX EW-7728In wireless pci card. The antennas it came with give me 40 percent connection however I cant seem to connect to the internet. I was surprised the connection percentage is lower when I plug my Rosewill RNX-A5-EX Omni-Directional antenna. Its at 30 percent hower it is able to load internet pages?
Maybe its because the omnidirectional has n technology but the router doesnt have that so I dont get it.

Well, it's hard to say for sure. Mostly those percentages are rough estimates and not necissarily the same across manufacturers. So 30% on the Rosewill might be a better connection than 40% on the Dimax. Personally I've never heard of either brand so I can't say for certain, but it could be that the Rosewill is just a better brand.

Well, it's hard to say for sure. Mostly those percentages are rough estimates and not necissarily the same across manufacturers.
Hi, I took down some numbers from my comparisons. The Roswill antenna that has lower signal but works better loading pages in fact has more "activity", I still dont get why even windows shows it as having less mgps and less signal streigth?

Edimax original antenna

Windows data after five minutes:
megabytes sent:214
megabytes recieved:295
Signal quality:Fair
Mbps:24

Edimax utility data:
Signal quality:37%

Network meter data:
(vista gadget)
signal quality:26%

Roswill multidirectional antenna

Windows data after five minutes:
megabytes sent:340
megabytes recieved:600
Signal quality:poor
Mbps:1

Edimax utility data:
Signal quality:15%

Network meter data:
(vista gadget)
signal quality:5%

Wireless is tricky to figure out and understand sometimes. I'd just take whatever works, use it, and be happy. :D

Wireless is tricky to figure out and understand sometimes. I'd just take whatever works, use it, and be happy. :D

I tried moving the antenna around and finally tried putting it out my window.
I had it on the inside of my window for a while and didnt think putting it out the window would make a difference but the difference was huge. Usually I get around 1 or 2 mbps now I'm getting 6 and 7mbps. I found this program on Speedtest.net that helped a lot on finding what works best as far as internet speed. I used the box it came with and a plastic garbage bag to protect it from weather. The box is about 6x18 inches, I just hope no neighbors complain. :)

Back
Top Bottom