Will a new router help with connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

happygoluffy

Baseband Member
Hi almost everyone in my building has good connection with wireless
belkin f5d9230ss router. Im in the hallway using a laptop to get a better connection. Will a new/modern router help me.

here are the specs of the one currently used:

Wireless G+ MIMO Router
Specifications: LEDs Power, Wired, Wireless, Modem, Internet
Maximum Users 253 (LAN), 16 (WLAN)
Ports Ports 4-10/100Base-T auto-sensing and auto-uplink RJ45 ports, LAN 1-10/100Base-T RJ45 port, WAN
Protocols supported CSMA/CD, TCP, IP, UDP, PPPoE, UPnP, and DHCP (client and server)
Range Up to 1,000ft*
Security WPA, WPA2, 64-bit/128-bit encryption
Specifications Standards IEEE 802.11b , IEEE 802.11g , IEEE 802.3u 100Base-T Fast Ethernet , IEEE 802.3u 10Base-T Fast Ethernet

Routers normally won't give you "better connectivity" because their job is to basically connect networks together but they can make your network more efficient.

However in this case since the router is your wireless access point (in other words, your router is connecting the LAN and the WLAN) you can upgrade it to the new IEE 802.11n. Another thing to look at is how much bandwidth you have, you may need to contact your ISP about your bandwidth and if you can have it increased (you will most likely have to pay more to do that, but it may be necessary with how many people are using the network at once). Some other stuff to look at...

- New modem? Absolutely, getting a faster one will allow more access and be faster.

- check your cables, maybe you need to upgrade or get new cables to your wireless acces point or potentially to the rest of your network that is still using cables.

N will give you better range, but unless your devices are N as well it won't be any faster.

I'm not so sure a new modem will help. It plays some role in over-all speed, but most of your speed issues will be from wireless interfereance (which N might over-come), the speed of internet being paid for, and traffic in the area from people who use the same DSL/Cable line. A modem does very little in terms of speed.

I bought a laptop and im in my building allway because the only way to properly connect is to go closer to the router. As far as I know my new hp laptop doesnt have n technology. I cant go to the hallway every time i want to connect.

Which laptop do you have? Most HPs now are shipping with n so I'm pretty sure you have one.

Which laptop do you have? Most HPs now are shipping with n so I'm pretty sure you have one.

HP G60-414CA
future shop shows this:
Networking
Ethernet Port 10/100
Integrated Bluetooth No
Integrated WiFi 802.11b/g

So if um correct its b/g technology.

Yes it is.

However, having only a wireless N card will not help. The N card won't improve speed (see below for explanation) or range (since the range comes from the router)

The connection will only be able to use the slowest common connection. So if you have a G router then you will connect at G speeds regardless of the wireless card. If you have G card then you will connect at G speeds regardless of the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom