Outdated Wireless Card Beating New One, Why?

zlashed

Baseband Member
I have an Atheros AR5006X wireless network card that I use to connect to my home wireless network through a Linksys router. This network card is several years old and came stock on an old HP PC I bought awhile back. I was getting decent speeds with this card but I had some problems with lag spikes in games so I picked up a new wireless card, a Linksys WMP600N (Wireless-N with dual band, seen here http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WMP600N). This was a rather expensive card and I expected an increase in signal strength and fast speeds. Unfortunately, however, just the opposite occurred. I experienced nearly half performance on speed tests and my ping inside of games was very significantly higher. What is holding this new card back and why is it being outperformed by a much older and cheaper card? Any help/information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

In order to get that card to perform at top speed, you'll a Wireless N access point or router. I'm guessing since you were using an old card before that your access point is probably older as well. If you're still running a G or B access point, a new wireless NIC isn't really going to help.

It should help as far as signal strength and it shouldn't be worse. Make sure you have the newest drivers for the card.

I do in fact have a Wireless-G router and therefore do not expect to see significantly greater speeds with my Wireless-N card. I only expected to see better signal strength and slightly better performance. The problem is that It's actually performing significantly worse. I do have the latest drivers from Linksys' site. Is there any type of wireless setting on my router than could be holding the new card back?

Probably not as far as the router.

Also, on second thought I wouldn't expect any improvement in speed OR strength since the signal is coming from the router. The N card isn't going to be able to detect the signal any stronger than the other card. I would only expect to see signal strength using an N router with a G card (oppisite of what you have).

However, with all that said it is unusual for it to perform worse. Try taking all the security and what-not of the router and reconnect and see if it helps at all. Then add security back and see if it makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom