ICS at my bros place

dudelewis1

Daemon Poster
Hey guys, my bro has a conundrum he want help with.

He has a laptop with Vista and a desktop with XP. He has a usb wireless adapter on the laptop and none on the desk. He wants to share internet connections using lan cables. We have rummaged together a linksys router, a 2link router, and a linksys wireless router, along with neccesary cables.

My attempts at setting it up have failed. The lan network works but all sharing (files, internet, remote desktop, etc) have not yet functioned. Is this a xp-vista deal, because ut may be possible to dual boot with xp on the laptop.

Any help is appreciated.

Definately a XP-Vista issue, at least with file sharing. However, it should be able to be worked through. I don't know so much about the internet sharing, but if you have a wireless router and a wireless adapter you shouldn't need to "share" the internet. You should be able to hook up the wireless router to the modem and pick up the signal from that. Then connect the desktop directly to the router.

I don't know how much you know so ask more questions if you need to.

File and Print Sharing between XP and Vista
1. Make sure files/print sharing is turned on in XP.
2. On the Vista computer make sure that everything in the Network and Sharing Center is turned on and that the network is set to private and not public (this is kind of confusing but private means the the network is a private network thus allowing the computer to be discoverable).
3. Make sure there are shared folders on both the XP and the Vista computer.
4. Browse by IP to the Vista from the XP and see if you can get there. Try from the Vista to the XP.

Post back results/questions.

He has one wireless adapter, and two computers.

I can ping the ips from each computer, but can't navigate to them.

One of the routers is wireless correct? Could you not plug in the desktop to the router with an ethernet cable and use the adapter on the laptop?

Well, pinging them is a start...

On the XP go to START > RUN type \\IP ADDRESS OF VISTA and see if that allows you to browse.

Folder sharing over the networks isn't a big problem in xp.vista just really confusing.

Not too good with vista, but I think he's going to dual boot xp on his laptop, so I think he will have it under control.

Back
Top Bottom