Basics on configuring IP addresses for a wireless router

still doesnt work
my ips for the modem and router are different
modem: 10.0.0.138
router: 192.168.1.1
this is strange
when i run the wizard on the routers interface it detects my connection as static ip when it isn;t
and then asks me for my DNS
i checked ipconfig and ipconfig/all and my DNS was shown as 10.0.0.138
which is my modem's IP
im confused =S.... i'm getting online help from netgear to see if they kno wat the problem is

Shouldnt the modem be on the same subnet as the router? as in... Router = 192.168.1.1, modem = 192.168.1.2 and PC = 192.168.0.3?

Not always. Again I don't know how to exactly explain it, but I've run into an issue with a particular ISP in the area that has their modem set to 192.168.1.1 and if you have a router that uses that same subnet, you have to change it to 192.168.2.1 in order for everything to work. I've run into it know about 5 or 6 times.

It took me like 2 hours to figure it out the first time, but now any time I run into this ISP I change the router IP and it works perfect.

Ah, that's strange!

Most of the time in the UK, people use routers with the modem built in, so i've not had much experience :p

Ah, that's strange!

Most of the time in the UK, people use routers with the modem built in, so i've not had much experience :p

Really? My friend has that and let me say, they blow chunks. I find that most of those arent exactly top end so you don't get the best performance, plus I enjoy tinkering with routers. I think thats sort of a mess waiting to happen combining those two in one.

Really? My friend has that and let me say, they blow chunks. I find that most of those arent exactly top end so you don't get the best performance, plus I enjoy tinkering with routers. I think thats sort of a mess waiting to happen combining those two in one.
I've never had problems with them - why do you think it's a mess waiting to happen? As long as the components are up to spec and not going to fail after a year or so (and pretty much all of the known brand ones I've used have been fine) there's no reason why it shouldn't work as well as an external modem, and if it's cheaper that way I'm all for it! It's the same story as routers with wireless access points built in - as long as their designed properly then there's no reason why they shouldn't work as well as plugging in an external one.

Of course, if we're talking about badly made or ill designed hardware then things are different and the same applies if we're talking about a large corporation network rather than a small home network. But on the face of it there's nothing wrong with designing things that way :)

I've never had problems with them - why do you think it's a mess waiting to happen? As long as the components are up to spec and not going to fail after a year or so (and pretty much all of the known brand ones I've used have been fine) there's no reason why it shouldn't work as well as an external modem, and if it's cheaper that way I'm all for it! It's the same story as routers with wireless access points built in - as long as their designed properly then there's no reason why they shouldn't work as well as plugging in an external one.

Of course, if we're talking about badly made or ill designed hardware then things are different and the same applies if we're talking about a large corporation network rather than a small home network. But on the face of it there's nothing wrong with designing things that way :)
Well my main gripe with them is you don't have too much oppertunity to move the device around for optimal placement. Like with my modem and router seperate I can move the router/AP around and place it in a better space but my cable modem is pretty much stuck in its current spot unless I want to call the guy up and have him cut more holes in my wall. You could always get another AP but still.

Have we tried restarting the whole shabang? Unplug the Modem and the router. First turn on the modem, wait for a few seconds for it to fully come up online and then turn on the router. Possibly any IPs hangin' around messing things up such as the DNS server having the same IP as the modem?
Just an idea...

I'd contact your ISP before you start messing with the modem. Netgear is probably just looking for an out, blaming it on something else. Have you talked to the ISP at all about this problem? They should be able to help you.

Back
Top Bottom