Basics on configuring IP addresses for a wireless router

xtreme_gamer

Beta member
how do u set up router ips so they don't clash with modem ips
im having trouble configuring things in the admin interface of my netgear WNR2000 wireless router

For most people, just using DHCP is fine. (Dynamic Host Confugration Protocol, it automatically assigns IP addresses, and tells your computer which DNS server and gateway to use).

For most people, just using DHCP is fine. (Dynamic Host Confugration Protocol, it automatically assigns IP addresses, and tells your computer which DNS server and gateway to use).

Works great for getting IP's to computers.

He seems to be having a problem with his router and modem having the same IP address. This does happen from time to time (both want to use 192.168.1.1 for example).

Somewhere in the router there will be a spot that you can change the default IP address of the router. Look for somewhere to change the LAN IP or a Networking Tab or something similar. I looked around the internet for a bit to see if I could find anything but I couldn't. Just know that there is definately a way to change that address, it's just a matter of figuring out where to go to do it.

Yeah this is pretty sucky. I know there's a way to change it on my Linksys though. Just disconnect the router from the modem tonchange it obviously.

THanks guys for ur help!
I'll probly take ur advice and get back into the router admin and try DHCP.
if there's still a clash i ll google how to change the router ip to an ip differnet to the modem ip
i ll post up the results when i get to it
i hope i wont need to contact my ISP for help

Works great for getting IP's to computers.

He seems to be having a problem with his router and modem having the same IP address. This does happen from time to time (both want to use 192.168.1.1 for example).

Somewhere in the router there will be a spot that you can change the default IP address of the router. Look for somewhere to change the LAN IP or a Networking Tab or something similar. I looked around the internet for a bit to see if I could find anything but I couldn't. Just know that there is definately a way to change that address, it's just a matter of figuring out where to go to do it.

OH, I dont think I totally understood his problem! I do now though.

I think for Netgear routers, the page to change the router's IP address is called "LAN IP Setup"

still doesnt work
my ips for the modem and router are different
modem: 10.0.0.138
router: 192.168.1.1
this is strange
when i run the wizard on the routers interface it detects my connection as static ip when it isn;t
and then asks me for my DNS
i checked ipconfig and ipconfig/all and my DNS was shown as 10.0.0.138
which is my modem's IP
im confused =S.... i'm getting online help from netgear to see if they kno wat the problem is

I'd also call your ISP. They might be more help than Netgear.

What IP is your computer getting? If it is not getting a 192.168.1.X address then something may not be plugged in right and that may be the problem.

Also some IPs do MAC filtering and require that you let them know that you have a router so that they can update their modem to provide internet to the router instead of your computer.

That's strange. The modem and the router should not be sharing the same IP address. The 192.168.1.x is a sub-network for just your home. But anyway as you've posted your modem is not sharing the same IP so it's something else.

My guess is something on your ISP's end. They haven't registered your MAC address or some BS like that.

^^It's possible that his modem is giving out the same range as his router is trying to. I've run into this where the modem is using a 192.168.1.1 for it's lan port and the router tries to use the same address so the computer gets confused.

Back
Top Bottom