html exe link

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteyboy22

Baseband Member
hi, i'm real bored today, after i fixed to vista boot loader thingy, i had nothing else to do, so i thought i'd create an autorun html page for my flash drive to boot my programs from (simple .exe's not a full program)

i'm not the greatest with html, so i just need the link that will open up the program.. i googled it already and got no where, so if anyone knows a way please tell me, and if you don't think it's possible aslo tell me, cuz i don't wanna waste my time

hi, i'm real bored today, after i fixed to vista boot loader thingy, i had nothing else to do, so i thought i'd create an autorun html page for my flash drive to boot my programs from (simple .exe's not a full program)

i'm not the greatest with html, so i just need the link that will open up the program.. i googled it already and got no where, so if anyone knows a way please tell me, and if you don't think it's possible aslo tell me, cuz i don't wanna waste my time

so you want html to open a .exe file automatically or when clicked on a page?
I don't think this is possible for security reasons.
As far as I know you can only link to the file and have it download(save) or open. Which would depend on the users security settings in the browser being used.

It's not possible to do this just using HTML, at least not run a program. As pointed out already that'd be silly for security reasons, can you imagine if any website that you pointed your browser at could run whatever it wanted? You can pop up a box that'll ask you whether you want to save or run the program, but that sounds different to what you're after.

This to me sounds like a classic case of using the wrong language for the job, you want something that'll compile and execute on your system, that way you can run whatever programs you like easily - so any language like C, C++, Java, VB.NET etc. would do what you wanted pretty easily. But launching programs directly from HTML pages? That's a complete no no!

Without writing an ActiveX control (or similar), you couldnt do that. As the above have mentioned, you cannot run things straight from a web browser, as it would be a serious security issue.

If I wanted to do it quickly, I'd consider making a word document with a series of buttons that linked to macro's. These macro's would simply have

shell("programpath/programname.exe")

in them...

Perhaps a stupid point, but wouldn't the simplest way just be a folder of shortcuts?

well i know there is a way.. yoyogames.com when you play a game, you can play it without opening it, and i know it's stupid, i'm just wanted to do something cool with my flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom