High ping from unknown cause?

Shadowmoose

Baseband Member
So I'm playing some battlefeild 2142 earlier today and all is well. I take a break and a few hours I try to play again, and punkbuster keeps kicking me because my ping is high. That's strange because usually that only happens when I forget to close utorrent, but that isn't open. I go check some Halo servers and they say I have 300+ ping which can't be right.

I'm looking at my computer and there is absolutely nothing using the internet. I check my other computer and it isn't doing a thing. I go check my router and there are only my two computers connected to the network. Even a ping to google says I'm at 300 to 600ms ping.

Can anyone explain to me what happened over the course of 2 hours?

Spyware, viruses, etc. Are you running personal firewall software? Maybe some gnarly TSRs. What happens when you reboot to clear all running processes from memory? Do you still have the high ping issue?

Reboot computers. Maybe one of them has a virus/spyware. It is possible that a program is stuck in memory and using internet. I'd turn off all things connected except your computer and restart your computer and try to reconnect.

So I'm playing some battlefeild 2142 earlier today and all is well. I take a break and a few hours I try to play again, and punkbuster keeps kicking me because my ping is high. That's strange because usually that only happens when I forget to close utorrent, but that isn't open. I go check some Halo servers and they say I have 300+ ping which can't be right.

I'm looking at my computer and there is absolutely nothing using the internet. I check my other computer and it isn't doing a thing. I go check my router and there are only my two computers connected to the network. Even a ping to google says I'm at 300 to 600ms ping.

Can anyone explain to me what happened over the course of 2 hours?

This isn't rocket science to figure out so here goes. You need to do some tracerts and find out where the lag is. If it's your first hop..well..you know the problem is most likely with you, on the flip side...anywhere else and it's most likely not you. Windows provides a simple tracert function but it pretty much blows. You might try this Trace Route but it won't test to the servers in question. It will however tell you if it's your network or your ISP that is the problem and it gives some kick azz data back. Go run those tests and post the results back and let's take a look.

So I discovered what was happening with my lag. The one cause I would never suspect too. Trillian Astra. 2 years in development, just put into beta, and it still has all these problems? Those guys need to get their act together. I closed the program and the world is right again. Certainly took awhile.

You had some good advice Osirus. It's been awhile since I'd trotted around in command prompt with netstat and tracert.

Back
Top Bottom