ip addresses

garystella

Solid State Member
Hi all i have just reinstalled my sons conputer with the correct disks (xp service pack 2) but now it wont connect to my dlink router via wireless adapter.Its only happened since reinstalling ,it finds the router ok but then says it cant assign a ip address or network address and wont go any further.am i missing something?

ok go to command prompt ( start>run>cmd) and then type ipconfig. Then write down the default gateway. now go to control panel, network connect, there should be a form of wireless network option, right click and properties, then right click on Internet protocol TCP/IP and click properties. now you need to click on use the following IP address, the IP is whatever subnet you are on ( if this is spanish take the third number in the default gateway you wrote down, and type 192.168.Whatever it was.10 subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway is what you wrote down. and tell me if any other problems arise. The reason you are not connecting is you can connect ot the router not the DHCP server and you are not being licinced an IP.

thank you i will try that and get back.....thanks again

right i typed in ipconfig like you said and it sent this back
ethernet adapter wireless network connection
connection-specific DNS suffix.:
auto configuration ip address 169.254.33.156
subnet mask 255.255.0.0
default gateway
there was nothing after default gateway
????

Did you solve this issue?

Sounds like the wireless card in the computer needs to have the driver re-installed.

get an updated driver? the default one might be a bit rubbish.
is dhcp enabled on the router (the thing that assigns ip addresses? otherwise you need to manually assign one on the pc like said above).

Hi i have my pc connected to router via ethernet cable a pc via wireless a laptop via wireless and all work fine but since reinstalling the other pc it wont find the connection

Here is a long shot...

Click on Start | Control Panel | Administrative tools | Computer Management | Then on the left in computer management look for Device manager and click on it. Does the device manager list any unknown hardware? When you reinstalled Windows it may not have installed the device driver for the WiFi.

Here is a long shot...

Click on Start | Control Panel | Administrative tools | Computer Management | Then on the left in computer management look for Device manager and click on it. Does the device manager list any unknown hardware? When you reinstalled Windows it may not have installed the device driver for the WiFi.
he says it finds the router though, so kind of sounds like the drivers are installed.

There's something about 'ipwinsock reset' or something that might help here. I'm not sure though on all the steps...maybe someone can help?

ive reset winstock whatever that islol i downloaded a tool to do that but still aol wont find my wireless connection :confused:

Back
Top Bottom