WiFi Antenna's

Nateo200

Baseband Member
Ok so I am trying to get more WiFi coverage from my current setup so I can get service from my school less than 100 meters out~. My dilemma is that my current router a Netgear rangemax does NOT have a spot to put an external antenna which has really made life harder, on top of that my dad was nice enough to give away my other Linksys router which had a single removable antenna away to a friend.

So basically I need two things from some of you networking aficionado's. I need advice on a decent but cheap wireless router to act as a secondary router to my primary that has the ability to add an external antenna(emphasize, cheap as I really don't need a fancy router for the sole purpose of this) as well as help deciding on a decently safe directional antenna that will work to the best of your knownledge with the cheapy router. I really would like to allow the antenna to be indoors if possible, but then again I would like to avoid running the risk of frying my brains in my sleep with the thing. What I have in mind so far are the following choices:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1955494&CatId=374
This seams like a nice intermediate choice, I could point it out my window from the inside without have to have a standoff distance and its very affordable but how realistic is the range?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2171314&CatId=374 this one seams to be similiar

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3350614&CatId=374
This one seams to have a good amount of output but it seams as if this one might have me worrying about accidentally cooking the squirrels in the front yard. How safe would this be to keep indoors? If I put it outdoors is it weather proof?

I would really like to keep it under 14dbi because from what I understand thats when A) I start to worry me inadvertently running the risk of an eyeball flambe and B) The FCC knocks on my door wondering why theres dead birds in my area.

Any advice is very appreciated.
-Nate

You won't baked your brain and the max legal output is over 200mw. The feds don't bother unless you roast the paint off your neighbor's siding.
It's odd that TD has the TP Link antennas but nothing else. I have the TL-WR542G router. Now the bang for the buck you just can't beat. And it has a detachable antenna. Running barefoot with this model will net clear line of site about 300 feet. With that TP Link antenna I get over 700 feet.

You won't baked your brain and the max legal output is over 200mw. The feds don't bother unless you roast the paint off your neighbor's siding.
It's odd that TD has the TP Link antennas but nothing else. I have the TL-WR542G router. Now the bang for the buck you just can't beat. And it has a detachable antenna. Running barefoot with this model will net clear line of site about 300 feet. With that TP Link antenna I get over 700 feet.

Ah! Well that was certainly a help! But let me pick at you more, is it safe to keep inside pointed in the desired direction (away from me). How directional is it? like what is the radius it could cover while beaming a decent distance? Can you adjust the "narrowness" for lack of better word to change that? Sorry lots of question but I like to be well informed on products before I purchase them. Thanks!

-Nate

I did not read the entire post. But I read some of it and checked out the links.
I wouldn't buy a directional antenna unless you plan to point it DIRECTLY at the coverage area. I would go personally with a wide angle.

Unless you are going for a point to point or multiple points. I would go with a Omni-Directional antenna.
Read this for more information on kinds of antennas.

For another router to act as another... You may need a bridge depending on your plan of connection.

You need a cheap one... Ah.. Lets see..

I looked around newegg.com a little and I see this is pretty nice for the price.
Link
It is 44.99, Free shipping, removable antenna's (three of them).
There is also a special discount going on until 6/30 for that router for special gain antennas making the top price 54.98.

I did not read the entire post. But I read some of it and checked out the links.
I wouldn't buy a directional antenna unless you plan to point it DIRECTLY at the coverage area. I would go personally with a wide angle.

Unless you are going for a point to point or multiple points. I would go with a Omni-Directional antenna.
Read this for more information on kinds of antennas.

For another router to act as another... You may need a bridge depending on your plan of connection.

You need a cheap one... Ah.. Lets see..

I looked around newegg.com a little and I see this is pretty nice for the price.
Link
It is 44.99, Free shipping, removable antenna's (three of them).
There is also a special discount going on until 6/30 for that router for special gain antennas making the top price 54.98.

Omni-directional is what I'm trying to avoid. Really I think the 2.4GHz bandwidth is ridiculously clogged as it is where I am I wouldn't feel comfortable broadcasting my obnoxiously over the top signal to the whole neighbor hood for security and traffic reasons (Of course I figure I could MAC Address filter but thats a pain as I would probably forget that I did that when I got a new toy or my friends needed to use my connection), the school by me has an unknown number of some pretty powerful AP's seeing as my laptop trys to connect to them all the time ever since I figured one out haha! The area I need it pointed at is pretty direct though.

The TP Link directional antenna gives about 30deg spread. If you figure the distance from the antenna to any given point along the center axis of the antenna when it reaches the target(the school), you'll see how large of a foot print you have.
vampist,
Only time I use omni is when I install access points. But if I want a strong signal going to just one target I use a directional.
Radio Labs is for those massive miles away projects. I've done a few of those. Pain in the arse I tell ya. I'm thinking he's just wanting to get accross the street.

The TP Link directional antenna gives about 30deg spread. If you figure the distance from the antenna to any given point along the center axis of the antenna when it reaches the target(the school), you'll see how large of a foot print you have.
vampist,
Only time I use omni is when I install access points. But if I want a strong signal going to just one target I use a directional.
Radio Labs is for those massive miles away projects. I've done a few of those. Pain in the arse I tell ya. I'm thinking he's just wanting to get accross the street.

I was linking to them merely for the information.
Major prob with directional antennas is they can sometimes be blocked by trees real easy.. Then again.. They all do.

I'm thinking he's just wanting to get accross the street.
If that is the case then you are right Directional is totally the way to go.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3010614&CatId=374 How safe is this antenna? It caught my eye for its elegance and its apparent low profile size (from the looks of it). Could I safely use this as an antenna to beam a signal 200 meters as well as boost my PC's signal from my room (3rd floor) to my basement (Not at the same time but switching off jobs of course when needed) without frying my pet fish? Setishock do you happen to have a formula for calculating degree spread over distance like you described? Ive been messing with my graphing calculator and have forgotten how (funny how I have a algebra final in two days).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3010614&CatId=374 How safe is this antenna? It caught my eye for its elegance and its apparent low profile size (from the looks of it). Could I safely use this as an antenna to beam a signal 200 meters as well as boost my PC's signal from my room (3rd floor) to my basement (Not at the same time but switching off jobs of course when needed) without frying my pet fish? Setishock do you happen to have a formula for calculating degree spread over distance like you described? Ive been messing with my graphing calculator and have forgotten how (funny how I have a algebra final in two days).

Lol Ironic...

This should not affect your fish or any other pets at all.
I do not have a degree formula either. Seti might, he sets up networks for a living :p *mumble*lucky*mumble*

Switching between the school and your basement then this should work. Of course you would have to switch the aim of the antenna towards the basement. I do know that a lot of times these antennas work best in "line of sight". So going through your house? Maybe.

Lets see what master seti has to say, I am a mere grasshopper:D .

Lol Ironic...

This should not affect your fish or any other pets at all.
I do not have a degree formula either. Seti might, he sets up networks for a living :p *mumble*lucky*mumble*

Switching between the school and your basement then this should work. Of course you would have to switch the aim of the antenna towards the basement. I do know that a lot of times these antennas work best in "line of sight". So going through your house? Maybe.

Lets see what master seti has to say, I am a mere grasshopper:D .
Well I figure if it's pushing 11dbi it damn well better change my 5.5 mps connection! Funny my laptop gets 54 but my desktop might as well have a lead wall in front of it. If I could buy a 200mw omnidirectional antenna without rapeing the entire neighborhoods cordless phones and frying my brains I so would haha....

Back
Top Bottom