Giving internet to specific device? (dont know the name)

cheech92007

Beta member
I was told that you can change some settings to give "x" amount of internet strength or signal to "y" device.

We have a total of 3 (somtimes 4) computers in our house. 2-3 of them are connected by Ethernet cables and one wireless. We also have an Xbox360 down a floor. When I play xbox, I dont always have the best strength connection and I tend to "drop" out of games.

Our internet is the strongest and fastest package that our service provider has and we recently got the latest version Modem that they recommend. A technician came to our house this past week and verified that our signal strength was perfect.

I currently use a Belkin Powerline AV+ Starter Kit as the Ethernet connection from the modem on the top floor to the Xbox on the floor below it.
The box says 200Mbps and is the most reliable of its kind.

So is there a way I can make the Ethernet connection to my Xbox have more boost to it? Set it so it has more strength going to the Xbox than to the other computers?

As you can tell, I'm not very good with technology. :p

Thanks guys!

Yes you can usually. You can usually do this through your router settings.
I can give you step by step directions if you would be so kind to tell me your router brand and model.:)

Yes you can usually. You can usually do this through your router settings.
I can give you step by step directions if you would be so kind to tell me your router brand and model.:)

Great! Thank you so much!

My router is a D-Link
Model: Di-524

Great! Thank you so much!

My router is a D-Link
Model: Di-524

Ah. Alright I have bad news. The feature you need is called "Qos".
Unfortunately your router does not support this feature.
The most you could do is set up DMZ for your xbox. But this is does mean your xbox will be any faster in this situation.

The best advice I can offer is for you to buy a new router. Sorry about that.
If you would like help choosing what router is best for you, please feel free to do so Here.

Back
Top Bottom