Corrupt Downloads

Matuku

Solid State Member
A large proportion of downloads (~60-70%) to my laptop seem to come through corrupted when I allow my internet to run at full speed; if I put a cap on the download speed (making it much slower) then the rate drops to nearly zero.

What could be causing this?

I'm at university, and my laptop is plugged into the university network via an ethernet port in my room. I have tried the same port, same cable with my EeePC and the downloads come through fine; it only seems to happen on the laptop that they're corrupted.

I've tried several things in an attempt to narrow down what is going on:
1)I have run Memtest86+ and no errors in the RAM are reported

2) I've run some HDD diagnostics which seemed to report nothing.

3) I've used a router to allow me to try using the wireless connection of the laptop; the problem persists still.

It's a Compaq laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium installed; and I'm running out of ideas of what it could be. My only guesses left are that there's something wrong with the HDD (in which case there would be more problems I'm sure), something wrong with the RAM (same story) or it could be there isn't enough RAM (only 2gb); is this a likely side-effect of having too little RAM? I have noticed that the computer visibly slows down when the downloads are running full throttle.

Sounds like the LAN drivers on the Compaq are messed up. Try an download new ones on the EeePC to transfer to the Compaq and see if that works.

Ok, did an almost complete driver upgrade (everything I could find) and it's changed the problem slightly; it still seems to do it but only if there's a load on the computer. Before it would do it pretty much whenever but now, if it's only the downloads running (i.e. I don't have any programs running in the background), it works fine.

Still not ideal though; any other ideas what could be wrong?

Back
Top Bottom