Harddrive issue

uro

Solid State Member
Hello, recently upon coming back from a trip I go to turn my desktop on. Everything seems to be going fine until I get to the windows loading page. The windows XP loading bar and icon come up and finish but after that my mouse comes up with a waiting glass against a black screen like it's about to load my account screen but then it goes away and all I have is the mouse pointer while my screen remains black.

Not really sure what the problem could be, I've had no problems with it before. Any idea what could be going on?

Check all the hardware inside the computer to make sure that it is all plugged in. ATX power, AUX core power, RAM, HDD power, HDD S-ATA or IDE, the whole nine yards.

report back and we'll work it from there.

Yea, everything is good as far as that goes. I get the system beep and everything runs smoothly up until after the windows loading screen completes.

Your operating system most likely needs repair. Enter your windows XP CD and follow instructions for a repair (do not use Recovery Console, however). Post back and let us know how it goes.

Your operating system most likely needs repair. Enter your windows XP CD and follow instructions for a repair (do not use Recovery Console, however). Post back and let us know how it goes.

Unfortunately I don't have the CD or know where it is. Do you think this is a windows related issue or a HDD issue?

The drive doesn't make any funny sounds when I take it out and hear it start up, it does vibrate quite a bit which I assume is normal though.

Check you CMOS Battery (it's a Round Watch Like Battery),Pull it out and pull your RAM out.Unplug it from the wall and leave it unplugged for about 10 minutes and then put everything back.

OR

Just buy a new CMOS battery.

Check you CMOS Battery (it's a Round Watch Like Battery),Pull it out and pull your RAM out.Unplug it from the wall and leave it unplugged for about 10 minutes and then put everything back.

OR

I can access the bios so wouldn't that mean that the cmos battery is functional? Or does that serve a different function.

OR

was that a pointless post? lol no offense neodude. But it just seems like a OS issue..uhh i can link you to the disk if you need.

Just to clarify for you; the CMOS battery is what keeps all of your settings saved under BIOS. /occasionally/, BIOS can cause the OS to not load. but it's typically only on Nvidia chipset boards.

Back
Top Bottom