Using Bitcomet Kills Internet Connection

Mine's a v.2. It has 32MB of memory and 8MB of flash. Still haven't loaded DDR-WRT yet.

Still think it's not his ISP?

STUDY: Cox Communications Also Throttling BitTorrent

Cox Disconnects Alleged Pirates from the Internet

I'm not saying COX doesn't mess with torrents, the links pretty much prove they do. There's a difference between throttling torrents and being unable to establish any new connections though, as throttling only typically limits the speed of torrents (unless the ISP's have a screwup of not having the proper hardware to handle the load of throttling and inspection).

If you search on the Internet, it's well documented that WRT54G's have major problems handing massive amounts of connections such as torrents. Torrents create hundred's or even sometimes thousands of connections which many consumer devices have problems tracking due to the way they handle connections by default combined with the low amount of ram.

Hey guys I really appreciate all the info. I've had many computers over the years but never really bothered with the diagnostics of it so I consider myself a newbie. I think what I'll eventually do is upgrade my router and see if that fixes the issue. I've had this router for like 5-6 yrs anyway.

I'll also be posting a component list of a new build I'm doing. I researched these parts on my own and spent about $1200. It should be delivered by Friday and I'm very excited....this will be my first build. I'll post this later on tonight and add the link to the post. Any opinion or advice is appreciated....I'd really like OC this new rig but don't wanna damage anything.

Oh and yes, it's a i7 920. The higher processors were just too damn expensive and I don't really need that much power.

I use a WRT54GS and never had this problem.

Using torrents did slow my net down, and make me lag on online games, but that was something to do with my torrent downloaders settings (Or so i was told).

But I have moved to Use groups, which is 100x better than torrents... does cost around £8 a month though.

Newsgroups are fine, depending on what your looking for. For me, I use newsgroups through COX and they dont limit the amount you can download, only the speed. I remember when I was able to have 8 connections to Cox West, Central and East and was downloading at 1.7 Megabytes per second! It was awesome, now they limit it to 4 connections, maxing the speed at 345KBps. On torrents, I get about 10-13Mbps speeds down, and about half that up. Not too shabby I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom