Serious Computer Issues, need advice.

tommyeflight89

Solid State Member
Hello all

My computer went from a very fast gaming rig to utterly useless in the matter of a week. I will start with basic specs then follow with symptoms and problems.

Intel DB975XBX2 board
2.4 Dual core processor
Nvidia 8800gtx card
Kingston 4gb ram
1x Raptor 60GB 10K rpm drive (main system here)
1X 250GB secondary drive, used for movies, etc..
Windows XP SP2

The problem started with the computer getting quite slow. I knew I had some form of a virus because I would get error messages and crashes. I went from 100fps in games to 15 at most. Internet became slow, etc.

I downloaded various anti virsu programs and figured I had multiple Trojans, spybots, etc. Basically everything!

Two days ago I go to boot my computer, everything is as normal until where I should have reached the main logion page where I click to enter my account.

Instead, the background is black, and a Windows box appears asking for a password to the Admin account. I have NEVER had a p.w. setup to login, I left the password blank and clicked OK. Windows began to boot, it paused at my desktop background for 1min or so, without loading icons or start bar.
I hit CTR ALT DEL, and a error message comes up saying admin has disabled task manager. Me enire desktop appears to be the same though, same icons etc.

There is a new thing called Windows Radio and TV Manager in the programs next to the clock. Never seen that before.

Within the next 15s multiple error messages, things like ctfmon.exe, other random things. Then all icons and task bar dissappear and I see blank desktop for 5s then a quick flash of blue screen, then a dark monitor.

Every time I bot it does this. Safemode is a no go (hitting F8 while booting doesnt work), and I dont have time to mess around in Windows before the crashing starts.

I am in desperate need for advice. What can I do... Is there something I can do that will give you guys more info...
I have all the stuff that came with my comp inlcuding the driver CD`s, Windows boot CD etc.

I would appreciate opinions and ideas. I do not know very much about trouble shooting, and when safemode wasnt accesable, I didn`t know what to do!

Thanks in advance, I will try and answer further questions or run test.

Ok, I put the XP CD in the drive. I pressed F2 to open BIOS menu and made sure that the CD drive was the priority boot. I arrive to a black screen that Says `Press Any Key to Boot From CD
If I dont hit a key it goes as normal to Windows and the crashing starts.

I pressed Enter and I arrive at a blue screen that says Windows Setup. I am given no options, other than to press F6 to install 3rd party something...

I was given no options or prompts. The CD began to load various files that I could see at the bottom of the screen. At this point I exited because the process that I had did not match what the link said I would see.
No setup screen, no options, no license agreement.

Should I retry the above process and see what happens...

yeah, let it load a LOT of files then it will get to some options. Various versions of XP have different load up styles. for instance Home edition or Professional. As to the virus, it sounds like you got that Trojan that was released months ago, but became active at 11:59Pm April 1st. Try using "Windows Advanced Care v2.2" or V3 by Iobit software. Also try using CCleaner. That or reinstall windows but just do a repair installation. Kind of go with the flow, some options will be different than what is presented on a guide.

Yes, let the files load. It will may a minute or two, then you will be given the option screens to begin the install process.

Ok, that makes sense.
One question though,the document says over and over to NEVER press R to do a repair install.....
So what I am trying to avoid is the Recovery Console.
I will do the same steps and let the files load.
To make sue, this will reload Windows files but leave my data alone right...

The Recovery Console is too advanced to even be sensible to use to repair windows; We won't put you through that ;p

Back
Top Bottom