Headset recomendations and questions.

BlindBusDriver

Baseband Member
My trusty pair of $7 dollar inland headphones (lol) have started to make a rattling noise in the left ear phone that is pretty anoying so im looking into getting a new pair. Also I would like to get away from having a desk mounted microphone so I don't have to lean into it slightly while playing games.

I know nothing of all the measurements use to describe the pick ups of mics and the deciable ranges of the headsets, so my question is simple. Does anyone know of, from experience or from recommendation, a good headset to use for mainly gaming (im not terribly concerned about music quality)?

Id prefer them to be well rounded meaning not to heavy, they wont hurt my ears after a few hours of use, the mic pick up is good and does not pick up noise from the headset itself, the sound quality is good for gaming, they are decently durable ect.

Also does anyone have any advice regarding force feedback and 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound in FPS games (mainly counter strike source). Worth it? Not worth it? Annoying? Surround sound effecting knowing the placement of sounds during game play?

My price range is anything reasonable preferably under $80 but feel free to make any recommendations, if well worth it price shouldn't be a huge issue.

I personally have the Gamecom 777 Gaming Headset. It's great. It comes with a USB adapter that turns the output on any computer into surround sound. The headset has a hidden microphone that rotates down and it's fantastic.

I was actually looking at the Gamecon 367, 377, and 777's on newegg and I cant seem to find any difference between the 367's and 77's except the 67's are 10 bucks less and come with free quake wars....

The 777's being 99 bucks only provide the 5.1 surround sound over the 377's and idk that it is "good" for gaming.... (that is the only difference i can find) I've herd a lot of mixed reviews over 5.1 for gaming, do you use them for music and movies or FPS's and the such?

I have always been a fan of Plantronics. I have the Gamecom 377 but i wish i would have spent the extra money and got the 777.

The surround sound thing is fairly significant! If it's anything like the one my friend has, it has a more than one speaker per ear...

steelseries. i have the 5VH v/2. Amazing sound quality and have an awsome rectrable mic. Have never had any problems with it. Very Nice Headset. And going along with counter-strike source also depends on how much u play. Me personally play to much he he. But this has always been a good headset to me here many things. volume set right you can here anything. And it is also very comforatble

I hear people coming before I see them when the surround sound mode is on, no joke. If I turn the volume up a but, you can even hear the bullets fly by you. It sounds amazing. The thing is, most people don't realize you need a good surround sound card to fully utilize a 5.1 headset. I have the Creative Fatali1ty Card which is 5.1-7.1. It has a whole bunch of goodies that makes it sound great. I just can't carry it with me everywhere and keep installing it on different computers. You also get a portable sound card which can be used on any headset and computer.

at rohan

I play cod2 to much as it is and when being able to hear people walking on the other side of the map is amazing. Even being able to hear them reload is sweet. I find it funny when other games don't understand the importance of sound and your ability to hear exactly where someone is when nothing more than a sound of a pin drops. You can pin point their location almost immediately.

I believe after taking recommendations and reading on the quality of headsets ive decided on the Tritton Ax 51 Pro.

Product @ $89
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826235007&Tpk=TRITTON AX 51 Pro

Review on Headset
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/tritton_axpro_5.1_gaming_headset_review/default.asp

Every new egg review (which is a low number granted) is positive on this set with all 9 reviews boasting 5 stars. The headset supports all platforms, and general reviews on it are good as well. And as a kicker, this is a bad ass looking set of headphones that are sturdy to the point of being bullet resistant.

The only question I have left is should I buy a soundcard with the headset since Newegg doesn't offer a combo deal? Or wait to see if my mobo fully utilizes these headphones since it has all the jacks that the headset uses?

I feel as if it simply cannot do the headphones justice, but know nothing of sound cars to decide on what one I should purchase?

Also I decided to steer away from the SteelSeries 5VH v/2 becuase many reviews on the product said they were flimsly built, but all other specifications were superb on these headphones. Thank you for the recommendation but I can't afford to experience a horror story of breaking a $100 USD pair of headphones from 2 Ft (aprox. 1m) to have one of the headphones snap off. (I read at least 2 stories similar to this on the 5VH v/2 headset). I chose to stay away from the Gamecon 377 and 777 series for similar reasons, perceived better sound quality with the Tritton headset, and general looks.

Back
Top Bottom