Table Rendering

HiddenTalent

Baseband Member
I'm the webmaster for 3 websites. I'm well versed in programming, however I dont have the time to make my own templates. My pages are built using free templates. An issue I've been encountering is that the table rendering for the different columns of the pages do not line up correctly between different browsers. Sometimes the tables are extended wider than the overall page. Looks tacky. I know this has something to do with the style sheet but I dont know where to begin looking or what to look for.

Any advice?

If you are wanting the table to stay within a certain range then I would suggest putting a width on the table, or column... or even using a maxwidth..

I understand that, but I figured the style sheet that was designed with the template would have taken care of that.

I will have to look deeper.

Are they actually built on tables or on column widths and CSS.

there are well known bugs in IE that make it not standards compliant.

Two column sites are usually OK, but to make three column sites you usually have to hack about the CSS code and nest divs inside each other.

from memory the bugs are usually caused with the align property and inheritance of where it should align from. (i.e should it align from the browser window edge or should it align from the div that it's inside?).

you can usually hack things about by changing the position types from relative to absolute, but this can become confusing if your text spils over your elements when they are set to a specific hight to make space for the absolute positioned elements that may come below it.

We could speculate about this all day long, but the fact is that any number of things could be causing this. Could you possibly give us url's or source code for the sites so we could better assist?

Back
Top Bottom