hardware for concrete house in side of hill, hobbit style...

Cha0

Solid State Member
So I live in a house that is built out of 1 foot thick concrete walls built in a hill. Literally if you can picture Frodo's house but instead of a round door out side, its an overhead garage door. that's mi casa.

That being said, WiFi sucks.

Heres the scenario...

Computer is at the furthest northern room in the house. modem is hooked up to a wireless router. in the middle of the house is the living room. we get great reception there. then there is a door that leads into a short hallway, say 10 foot long max. as you go into this hallway you start to loose signal FAST. as you get to the door at the end of the hallway (this is the door to my bedroom) your signal is toast. I need to get signal in that room.

I just purchased the EnGenius 600mW 802.11bg ECB3500. From what I read its pretty good at getting a signal out. I also purchased a Engenius 600mW 802.11bg EPI-3601S desktop PCI Card w SMA for my desktop and an EnGenius 200mW 802.11BG EUB-362 EXT WITH SMA CONNECTOR. Again from what I read the EnGenius stuff is really great and the price is right. I got everything including an "upgrade" antenna for like 250 shipped.

Is there anything else I can do that dosnt involve running wires up the walls? any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

I don't know how much of a DIYer you are but you might want to check out this site freeantennas.com. If you need to see a quick video about the 12 db antenna you can look at this.

Cheers!

You might consider using a higher output 802.11N router which is backwards compatible. They advertise almost two to three times the coverage perimeter than those of the "G" protocol.

Back
Top Bottom