creating a network

peachwater

Solid State Member
So I need to create a decent network. I have $10k to work with. I don't need to buy any of the computers. I do however need:

• a router from the internet
  • a hardware firewall
  • a switch to power minimum 15 computers and a wireless router (see below)
  • a wireless router for minimum 5 computers
  • a software firewall for all of this
  • Cables to connect all of this

Can anybody make a suggestion for anything above? Thanks for your help!

Is this for a buisinness, or a really big home?

Also, like 99.9% of routers have a hardware firewall built in. And how long of cables do you need?

It's for a business. Also, I don't really need much for cable length. Maybe like, 15 feet for each computer? I do need a all the different firewalls though. I don't get the option for built in stuff. Thanks!

In my opinion all you need is the hardware firewall, then the windows firewall.

Cables are cheap, get some CAT6 or CAT5e and you will be good to go.

Does your business need a VPN or will standard home/small office routers work for you?

Um, I'm not sure about anything. I really have no idea how to do any of this. So, I'm assuming standard home/small office routers are fine.

What kind of business is this for? Will any ecommerce (online purchasing) be conducted with your business? Is this business a home business or in a small office location? Are you wanting to host in-house internet/intranet websites and email?

As celegorm suggests ... hardware firewall would be what you'd need in the firewall dept. Software firewall isn't necessary. Hardware firewall like SonicWall or Cisco PIX (PIX 501 for your situation) would be examples. A benefit is being able to create VPN's to login remotely.
***There are some firewall hardware solutions that include wireless capabilities.*** I haven't had a need or opportunity yet to work with these, but they might be a way to kill 2 birds with one stone. Wireless and hardware firewall all in one. Here's a sample of firewalls: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N=2002810529&name=Firewalls&SpeTabStoreType=0

A simple 24 port linksys switch like the following probably would be sufficient: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817201106
You might be able to get away with a 16 port switch, but you're kind of limiting yourself according to your numbers above.

Are you wanting to have a work environment domain utilizing a central file server?

You can get a web managed Dell switch 2724 for around $300
Cisco ASA 5505 ($500 to 1000) Cisco PIX is EOL the ASA replaced it. (i would not use moonwall or pfsense .. its just not good enough yet) Most so in logging.

Cables are cheap
You dont need a wireless router you need a Wireless AP .. Dlink AP3200 is around $150 Or a Cisco Aironet for around $600-800

If you need a nice vpn, sonicwall makes a SSL 200 vpn, its $500
You dont need a software firewall ... You can use the windows firewall .. it does just what you need.

Done and way under budget ... plenty left for labor

Home routers are not firewalls ... they are nat filters. If you cant create ACLs its not a firewall.

Back
Top Bottom