network administrator can monitor internet traffic?

HeatherS

Beta member
I'm living in a house with 3 other college girls. We share a wireless router. Can the network administrator (my room mate) monitor what I do online?

I think they can monitor what you download and what IP addresses (websites) you visit. I've never heard of any other kind of monitoring though. And I think they need to have something installed on your computer.

To be honest they probably can through a variety of methods, but most of them take a lot of tecnical knowledge to use in my opinion.

The question is, why do you want to know if they can monitor your content? Privacy worries? Doing something you shouldn't be? If you were just curious then yes they see what you are doing theoretically. If you are worried they are checking and want to defend yourself then I am sorry but I'm not sure of where to go from there. I'll do some thinking and see if I can come up with anything in the meantime!

@JogaBonito1502 You don't need to have anything installed on the target computer, there are a variety of methods that can be used, one of which essentially hijack the packets as they travel between the target computer and the wireless router and decrypts them. But it does take quite a lot of technical knowledge and the ability to code in C/C++

Oh and sorry if this is of absoloutley no use to you or I'm just being stupid, I'm only trying to help out thats all :) I'm quite new to the whole offering support kinda thing :p I just hope I was of some use! Sorry again

Aarandorf

most routers provide logs of visited sites, time stamps, and the client's ip address connected to the network. you could ease drop on the traffic i guess if you wanted to to investigate further or packet sniff, then they'd have to cipher through the results but could potentially yield something a lot more juicy. when i was testing it on myself i could see aim conversations in plain text, just to give you an idea.

The truth of the matter as everyone before me has stated is that yes there are ways of doing it. It doesn't take a lot of know how, in fact they might even make linux distros for this type of thing. I am tell though.

If the OP was so worried about it themselves I would just go and ask their housemate if they are monitoring traffic, and to what extent they are. For the most part, people only want to see the amount of traffic is going through, not what the traffic is.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom