Changing server security/AV, suggestions please!

Metalwolf

Baseband Member
Hello. I have been running my own servers for a while. For antivirus I use Alwil Avast. I really like this anti virus because I scans all connections, emails,etc. for viruses and most of the time catches them. For a very powerful computer like my gaming PC its not a problem that it is resource intensive. For my server it is a problem though. Avast takes a large amount of RAM and my server only has 256MB available. My server operates just fine but when a scheduled virus scan is started the server slows down considerably. I know it affects programs such as TightVNC so I imagine it also affects its ability to receive email.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a replacement anti virus. As you would imagine free is preferred. Thank you!

Thats kind of tough to say because most anti virus programs takes quite a bit of ram... Trend Micro is probably the lowest resource I can think of but that isn't free. Avg has a free version, never had a problem with that slowing down a computer. I would test that.

Back
Top Bottom