HELP! Do I have a Virus?

griffster1

Beta member
I have a Dell notebook with XP. I'm not a computer genious and I don't know that much about them. But I think I have a virus in the forum of some kind of Virus protection program. Pop-up messages keep appearing saying (among other things ) Automatic updates has been disabled and that my computer is being attacked from the internet, and it's prompting me to buy a subscription to some virus protection software. It keeps on trying over and over and over again to connect to the internet (I have no connection, so explorer keeps popping up with a blank page). Control panel has disappeared, as well as My Computer, so I can't do system restore. Is there any hope?

Download AVG 8.0 and Spybot: Search & Destroy. If you have one of those flashdrives that allows you to install programs, install them there and update them, then run them. If you don't have that option you can just save the setup files on the flashdrive and install on the computer, then you just run them. If you don't have a flash drive then I suggest you reformat.

This one usually does result in getting your computer re-formatted.

Well, that's what I ended up doing when I had it.

what ur decsribing sounds like an "add" if you like trying to trick you to donwloading a virus most likely. my advice would be to download kaspersky antivirus 2009 and run a full system scan, it should find it and quarentine it, your problems will be solved!

get NOD32 or AVG. best anti-virus in the house!
sounds like its most definitely a virus. unplug your computer from the internet when you do the scans, and run them in safe-mode too.

Well, technically, its Ad-Ware. :p

Like everyone else said, download a Anti-Virus program and do a scan.
After you solve this virus, make sure you always have a anti-virus program running on you computer at all times. If you set up a computer right, you should not get any virus's like this.

If your running XP service pack 1, then upgrade to service pack 2 right away. My old computer was not compatible with SP2 so I was stuck with SP1 all the time. SP1 is a anti-virus nightmare as you ALWAYS get infected with something.

Back
Top Bottom