Does anyone even know anymore?

Ð88

Fully Optimized
Warning: lengthy insight

There was a time when I thought I knew my position in life. Where I was headed; what I would become. I thought I knew exactly who I was. I felt that I had an answer to anything and I believed in a lot of things that helped me understand and get through life up to this point. That's why I am suddenly scared that I have become disillusioned to the fact that I really didn't have the answers.

I find myself lost in a world that appears too large for me to cope with. A universe containing infinite uncertainty. Now I am, again, asking questions. What should we care about? What really matters? What will make a difference in our lives if we choose to do one thing or another?

You might be wondering at this point what sparked such meditative thought. I was simply having a discussion with someone whom I only recently met and we got on an interesting subject of the time we have in this life and the things we would like to achieve. It has been a long time since I had such a discussion with someone and that really made me wonder if what I know is really just a bunch of BS.

I know it sounds far fetched but there is a theory that the world might end in 2012. Yeah, yeah, we've been told this before and what happened? Nothing. But that's besides the point. Our time as a collective is obviously limited and running out day after day, but as an individual, living our own insignificant life, do we really know when our end will be? The answer is no. So with that notion, should we really make the extra effort to do the things we want to do and go to the places we wish to go no matter what the cost or the sacrifice tied with it?

I get this feeling with each passing moment I am not doing something that I wish I was really doing that I'm wasting time and being exceedingly foolish. Like at work today, I drove around and around the city basically doing nothing because I didn't have any important work to do. It was an incredible waste of time. I feel ashamed by it. But should I?

I wonder if attempting to accomplish everything on our "list" is unfeasible. If it's pointless and only something to contribute to our worries of inevitable death that if we do not fulfill our goals we are essentially failures. I know we should not fear death but accept it and understand that it will happen. Yet, I have conflicted issues with that idea in a sense that, if we are too accepting of unavoidable death, what is the point of striving to excel and achieve our life's dreams? What should we be driven forward by?

The conflict arises by my refusal to lay down and give up. I am not okay with that either and neither should anyone be. I look at the people in life who have hit rock bottom and can't help but believe that it is their own fault but at the same time I feel that I can't blame them for it. It's easier to let life's intricacies break you than to stand strong and hold your ground.

Anyways, for anyone who has managed to read this far, I am grateful that you have taken the time. I hope you can offer some answers because I certainly don't have any.

That's deep. Well, I don't think you should set too many goals in life. Turn one corner at a time. When you look back, and you see all the corners you have turned, then you realize what your life is and whether you succeed or failed. Now a successful life is determined by you and only you. I think a successful life is one with no regrets, therefore I'm not doing so hot on mine. If you just set all these goals at once, chances are, they will block each other's way. If you have a goal to be a dad but also graduate with a PhD, then you will most likely have a hard time achieving them. Because there are chances that you will become a dad while trying to achieve your PhD and that would only set you back.

There are no right or wrong answers. No one can tell you what you want out of life..that's for you to figure out. What you want and what someone else wants is totally different.

Death and what I need to do before it is not something I think about a lot. I actually don't think very often about anything outside whats going on in my own life.

I don't know what I want out of this life, but I'd rather not know than waste time wondering.

...but I'd rather not know than waste time wondering.

I like that thought. Maybe you're right, wondering could be the culmination of wastefulness. Maybe it's just better to go on without knowing and embrace it. Uncertainty could quite possibly be the beauty of living.

I like that thought. Maybe you're right, wondering could be the culmination of wastefulness. Maybe it's just better to go on without knowing and embrace it. Uncertainty could quite possibly be the beauty of living.
Yep. You just have to live one day at a time, and have a good time. That's all that really matters - are you having fun in life?

Thats deep!

I would say its only pointless to set unrealistic goals. If you set realistic ones you will feel a sense of accomplishment when you complete them.

Similarly if you do not reach them it doesn't mean you are a literal failure

well i know where i want to go with my life , i have another year of college left then im hopefully going to uni to study law for 3 years then another year doing an LPC so i can become a solicitor and then hopefully go into a city firm for 2 years doing a training contract after which i will beocme a fully qualified solicitor getting paid a fair deal of money

as for death my thoughts are you die when you die it could happen tomorrow you could get run over by a car or it could happen in 50-60 years time either way its going to happen its the only thing you can be certain of happening in your life how its gonna happen you can never be certain of though

as for what you got to do before death all i can say is live life to the full enjoy what you can

Warning: lengthy insight

There was a time when I thought I knew my position in life. Where I was headed; what I would become. I thought I knew exactly who I was. I felt that I had an answer to anything and I believed in a lot of things that helped me understand and get through life up to this point. That's why I am suddenly scared that I have become disillusioned to the fact that I really didn't have the answers.

I find myself lost in a world that appears too large for me to cope with. A universe containing infinite uncertainty. Now I am, again, asking questions. What should we care about? What really matters? What will make a difference in our lives if we choose to do one thing or another?

You might be wondering at this point what sparked such meditative thought. I was simply having a discussion with someone whom I only recently met and we got on an interesting subject of the time we have in this life and the things we would like to achieve. It has been a long time since I had such a discussion with someone and that really made me wonder if what I know is really just a bunch of BS.

I know it sounds far fetched but there is a theory that the world might end in 2012. Yeah, yeah, we've been told this before and what happened? Nothing. But that's besides the point. Our time as a collective is obviously limited and running out day after day, but as an individual, living our own insignificant life, do we really know when our end will be? The answer is no. So with that notion, should we really make the extra effort to do the things we want to do and go to the places we wish to go no matter what the cost or the sacrifice tied with it?

I get this feeling with each passing moment I am not doing something that I wish I was really doing that I'm wasting time and being exceedingly foolish. Like at work today, I drove around and around the city basically doing nothing because I didn't have any important work to do. It was an incredible waste of time. I feel ashamed by it. But should I?

I wonder if attempting to accomplish everything on our "list" is unfeasible. If it's pointless and only something to contribute to our worries of inevitable death that if we do not fulfill our goals we are essentially failures. I know we should not fear death but accept it and understand that it will happen. Yet, I have conflicted issues with that idea in a sense that, if we are too accepting of unavoidable death, what is the point of striving to excel and achieve our life's dreams? What should we be driven forward by?

The conflict arises by my refusal to lay down and give up. I am not okay with that either and neither should anyone be. I look at the people in life who have hit rock bottom and can't help but believe that it is their own fault but at the same time I feel that I can't blame them for it. It's easier to let life's intricacies break you than to stand strong and hold your ground.

Anyways, for anyone who has managed to read this far, I am grateful that you have taken the time. I hope you can offer some answers because I certainly don't have any.

Back
Top Bottom