fill me in on this stuff.

amp27

Daemon Poster
i have never new much about internet stuff. i just got a question about internet speeds and services.

i have tds. and dsl. i am wondering if i have to use the router that they sent me. it is a actiontec 54mbps wireless. dsl gateway it says.

also if i get a better box(whatever it is called) can get fast wireless speeds.

our wireless network in our house is wireless G.

i am looking to get fast speeds with my computer upstairs that will have a card in it.

if i get a really good "box" will i have faster speeds. i dont know if i want wireless N yet. maybe.

is my speed determed by my provider. which would mine i would just have to pay more for better service?

i want faster internet.

here is what i got on this site i found.

You can achieve good signal on a Digital Subscriber Line, depending on how far away you are from your provider, "physically". The farther you are, the slower speeds you will get due to signal loss/EMI etc. DSL internet is achieved by super-imposing a higher frequency on your POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) line than what is originally there. A typical POTS (or phone) line has a frequency range from about 0 to 3400 Hz. That same frequence range is also known as the "Voice Band" because thats the limitations of what our human ear can pick up, consciously. There's more to it than that, (considering DSL uses digital signals rather than analog) but that's the nuts and bolts.

Now, back to the internet speeds. You are limited to what your ISP is currently providing you. Higher speeds means more money. You could go out and buy your N version of Syslink routers, but it will probably be overkill. Your wireless router cannot transmit speeds higher than that which you are recieving from your ISP. Find out what package your parents subscribed for.

you up load still sucks like mine but your down load is 15x faster lol. what service and plan or package do you get you ISP i guess is what they call it

Is your DSL modem built into the router? If it is, then you'd have to use it.

Back
Top Bottom