Iphone 3G!!!

I've had a 1st gen for almost a year. I've thought about getting the new one many times, but I'll wait and see if its worth the upgrade.

The only thing attracting me is the 3G. Most people don't realize this, but 1st gen iPhone users will be getting a monster update that will essentially make our phone and the new one identical (app store, gui changes, etc.) Only 3G, GPS, and some other things will obviously not be in an update.

Congrats!

Meh, the iPhone is sexy but I'm not really interested in it.

My Sony Ericsson K800i goes above and beyond what I need/want it to do, and it's PAYG so it doesn't cost me the world each month. Orange has a free mapping service so I don't even need GPS.

With this phone, I can:

• Freely install my own apps
  • Mount as a USB device instead of having to change everything through iTunes
  • Freely install my own rigntones and themes, again without iTunes
  • Can legitimately choose my own network (was on O2 for years... garbage network and far too expensive, no wonder Apple chose it : rolleyes :)
  • Surf the net
  • Send SMS/MMS/video messages
  • Make video calls
  • Carry around with a much reduced risk of it getting nicked
  • Use 3G services; when I got this phone in September 2007 it was already a year old and had full 3G functionality even then... Apple only just managed it now because they designed the original iPhone for the US market which relies on a stone-age cellular communication system, the only reason Apple put 3G in at all was because Europe was laughing at it and refusing to buy it purely because 3G is expected as standard here and the original iPhone didn't even have the most basic support for it. Apple have forgotten US != rest of world; just because the US mobile phone networks are in the Stone Age doesn't mean ours are.

Sure, the iPhone is sleek and sexy, but there's nothing massively special about it besides its branding and label. Everything it can do has been done before in a much better way without iTunes bloat and DRM'd garbage, I can pick my own network and I can actually get a decent deal when I buy the thing.

You may think it's cheap but nothing is cheap in the UK, especially when Apple deliberately picked O2, a stupidly expensive network with flaky coverage (I had four different phones during my time on O2, had crap signal everywhere in the world I took the thing) and crap customer service. Typical Apple going for £££ and complete inconvenience.

Apart from the 3G-Ness and the GPS :)

The one and ONLY reason I would consider the upgrade is the 3G network. I use my internet connection on the phone PLENTY, and half the time I'm not near a WiFi connection. I will wait and test a friend's new iPhone to see if it makes a big difference.

The other thing that I find useful is the fact that, while using 3G, you can still receive and send text messages / phone calls. Currently, we are not able to do that with the Edge network. In other words, if someone calls me while I'm surfing on Safari, it will automatically go to voicemail. Not a big flaw, but a flaw nonetheless.

Oh, and I've heard that the new app store will have an AIM application for sale. All I can say is JESUS, it is about time. It's a shame that they make us PAY for it, though.

Wireless services in our country need a big change, and I feel it will come soon.

3G coverage in the United States is a complete joke compared to Europe.

Until the coverage improves, most users won't see a difference in speed.

I woke up at 6am watching all these different live streams, especially from http://appleiphoneschool.com .

I would get mine today but my parents are out of town, etc. SO I'm gonna get mine tomorrow BUT all the stores IN MY STATE are sold out so I have to order one.

3G coverage in the United States is a complete joke compared to Europe.

Until the coverage improves, most users won't see a difference in speed.

Compared to Europe, yes, we are far behind.

But Edge vs. 3G? I beg to differ.

I've had a Blackjack II and an iPhone at one point in time; one for business and one for normal use. My Blackjack would load the same webpage MUCH faster than Edge ever can.

Back
Top Bottom