Latest Microsoft 'fix'

Kage

Golden Master
Hey guys and gals,

I haven't been on for 2 days as a supposed Microsoft 'fix' messed up my Zonealarm Firewall settings causing me to not be able to connect.

Zonealarm have released a fix now though, so I'm back up with the 'fix' installed.

I wonder how many people this really knocked out...

Yeah, my dads computer was still working, which was what was confusing the hell out of me. Turned out, he hadn't installed the latest KB update I had done, a day previously.

Theres been tonnes of forums shouting about it.

I only found it out though after ringing Virgin Media, and they told me about the patch fault causing it, so I did more research and found a new download for Zonealarm.

But, to get the Internet working first of all, I had to uninstall the KB update.

KB951748

That's the bugger there :p

FIX:

All is installed again now though, and working.

If anybody finds this and is also having problems with a computer, first go to the Control Panel.

Then go to Add/Remove programs.

Where it says 'Show Updates', tick the box.

Now, scroll all the way down until you find 'KB951748', and uninstall it.

Restart, and when up, the Internet should be back online.

Go to:

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

Install the update, set it to just upgrade and not do a clean install to retain settings, and then you'll have to restart the computer again.

When up, Microsoft should find the KB update hasn't been installed yet (if you haven't got Automatic Updates on), and ask you to install it.

Install, reset again, and there you go.

not me because im on avg but it sounds harsh if you was to own the product because you rely on it.

ok he says zone alarm "firewall" you say AVG "anti virus" ok then .........

and.

"but it sounds harsh if you was to own the product because you tely on it ?"

AVG has a full suite though that has a Firewall too. Thats probably what he means.

It seems to be just Zonealarm version 7 that was affected.

ok he says zone alarm "firewall" you say AVG "anti virus" ok then .........

and.

"but it sounds harsh if you was to own the product because you tely on it ?"

wtf are you getting at?

I own avg and it has a built in firewall wtf? lmfao LMFAO LMFAO I actually buy products, not download freebies that is not fully secured

and i said rely

ZoneAlarm was absolute pants on every occasion that I've ever used it, it breaking fantastically at something like this really doesn't surprise me.

I dropped it like a hot brick ages ago, what a load of rubbish. It just kept on ignoring rules I set, blocked random ports, blocked random apps from accessing the Internet and continually asked permission even though I'd told it to permanently say yes... nightmare. Total ass.

I've never had a problem with it.

In its defence, it was Microsoft that changed the way security was handled, that confused Zonealarm, causing it to switch off the Internet.
If thats not being safety conscience, I don't know what is.

It seems to be just Zonealarm version 7 that was affected.

Nope. It's gotten Norton as well. Only instead of the firewall, it messes up the worm protection. Worm monitoring needs to be disabled before anything internet related can be done.

Well Kage looks like you came across what's been bugging my system lately. My XP rig works just fine, but my Vista system is fracked up. I have been getting intermittent connections but mostly not able to get on.
I also have a guest here that's having the same problem with his Vista rig. Even though his insists he hasn't up dated in a while. He had to have done updating to get the same issue.
Thanks guys. Good find.

Back
Top Bottom