Work Times

Kage

Golden Master
Hey. I just wanted to post a little blog, and if you could, please give comments?

Right, I know I left it late, as its next week, but its my mates 21st coming up next Sunday, and hes planning to have an entire weekend of activities with other mates, and seeing as I'm his best mate, I wanted to go.

BUT, they put my hours up for next week, and I'm working the Saturday and Sunday, which is normal affair.

Now, take note, I do 24 hours a week.

So, I need the time off, but was actually pretty scared to ask for the time off on those 2 days as I knew the manager wouldn't be very happy with me, so I decide to look for other options.

My first and only real option was to ask one of my fellow employees to swap shifts with me.

I looked for someone that did 24 hours a week, and happened to find this guy on the list that I do get along with (and wasn't working Saturday and Sunday) and asked him kindly if he'd swap times for one week, and after a bit of discussion that he'd prefer to do the weekend anyway (as he was put on a lot of locks that week), we agreed on it.

But, I hadn't asked the manager yet, so today I went in (the day after), and got the thumbs up that'd it'd be alright to swap the times.

I then try to ring this guy after getting his number the day before (that is meant to be a work mate of mine) and he basically tells me that hes not sure anymore, and has changed his mind, before hanging up on me, litterally :(

Now, I have no idea what to do, as I still need the time off, and have ran out of options, and hes not in until Monday which is when the swap was meant to have occured and I was meant to have come in later (on his shift) :(

I'll have to go in tomorrow (the shift changes were meant to start the Monday) and say that he basically knocked me back on the plan, and that I still need it off, and is there anything I can do.
I'd even work extra hours, but hell, did that annoy me :mad:

Call that guy again and explain to him. If he still shuts you down, then go to your manager and see if he will allow you to work extra hours after, or maybe even try to alter your shift. I think the best way here might be to go up to your manager, explain him the situation (exaggerate a bit or something lol), and hope he understands.

How long have you been working there? If it's been a while, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to arrange things for you (just for a week)

Its a she, and she can be a bit funny at times, but hopefully she'll be in a good mood.

I've been working there 2 years almost. Its just a pain that I know that I should have remembered earlier, but at the same time, I'll let my friend down if I can't get the time off.

If you don't ask for much time off, I see no reason why you won't get the time off. Good luck with it though. Hopefully You'll be able to go.

he cant do that now because his manager already knows he wants the time off and it would look a bid dodgy if he called in sick

You don't have to go into work. He agreed to accept your shift and you ran it by your manager so now your manager is expecting him to show for work. You're in the clear, he's the one who will be in trouble.

How much do you like your job, and how much do you like your manager?

I did a temp job last year which was supposed to last 8 weeks. I quit after 10 days because my "boss" (read: chavvy secretary) was taking the piss and the job agency pushed the whole blame for everything that had gone wrong onto me despite the fact that not one damn bit of it was my fault.

I quit at the most sensitive time when the secretary was taking 2 weeks off to look after her partner who was going into hospital... it felt satisfying. Nobody and I mean nobody treats me like that, especially for £fuckall per hour.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you're not sure you like the job and the boss is being stupid about things, then you could just walk I suppose. If she won't give you time off there's plenty of other jobs out there for someone your age.

It's very much a last resort so think it over beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom