Hate it when my parents act like kids..

So today... my dad got pissed for childish reasons again... We are eating dinner, and all talking as a family, the 4 of us. My parents signed me up for some business class at milwaukee school of engineering, and I am pissed about that a little bit... and thats all they were talking about all dinner, so I ate quick, and acted uninterested. They know I dont want to go anyway. I finished my dinner and put my dishes by the counter, thats how we always do it in our family, then my parents usually do the dishes. So I sat down, not at the table, and took my phone out, cause I was tired of hearing about this class... My parents told me to put it away, so I said fine, and put it in my pocket. Earlier that day they had request I weedwack/string trim the yard, cause we have company coming over tommorrow. So I just went outside and said I was going to do that. I was already angry, so then my dad comes outside and tells me to put my dishes in the dishwasher... knowing he is just trying to make me angry and trying to secure his power... I responded in an uncaring monotone voice, "you will have to think of a better excuse to make me angry" and grabbed the weedwacker and went to go start it. I knew that would make him angry, besides, I didnt do anything wrong yet. So he says in his quiet angry voice, "You Sorry SOB, if I have to put those dishes away, you will be in deep shit." I turned to look at him, and acted like I was going to take him seriously, and started to act like he won, then I used my uncaring voice again and said, "Hey, watch your mouth next time." and walked away again. Not wanting to lose computer priviledges, I thought of a better way to piss him off... So I walked inside, put my dishes in the dish washer, looked him right in the eye, and said, "Weedwacker is all ready and set up outside, feel free to do the yard anytime tonight. And I walked upstairs..." I pissed him off, but there was nothing he could do...
I'm not proud to say this, but one time I pissed him off, he tried to use force to control me, well... he has about 30 pounds on me, even being twice my size, so I overpowered him easily, and it just didnt work for him. So I walked upstairs not turning around to even look at him, and went to my room... He goes and turns the power off... I didnt say anything. I was thinking of maybe saying my insulin pump needed charging or something, but decided not to say anything. It ended up being my innocent sister who complained to my mom that her DS charger was broken... Now the power is back on, after 30 minutes, and I still havent said a thing to my dad. I just acted calm, and uncaring, I think it just makes him feel that he is losing, or that he has no power, which is my goal.

Anyone else have problems like this at home?

definitely. my parents LOVE to send me places without my consent. in my community, i once went to a little graduation thing at a local elementary school. i was sitting next to two mothers that had only just met and they sure could talk...

"Wow your daughter sure is diligent at her studies!"
"OF COURSE NOT! AT HOME SHE PLAYS ALL DAY! how about your son? What does he do?"
"OMG HE PLAYS VIDEO GAMES ALL DAY!"
"Yeah seriously kids should study all day. Don't they understand that this is the only way to get a good job and go to OMFGLiKETHEONLYUNIVERSITYTHATEXISTSOMFGHARVARD!????"

"sooo...your daughter looks a lot like you" and im like "WTFUX!!!!!!1111" in my mind.
"yea."

"soo....did u apply for summer school yet?"
"yea i applied 2 months ago in january!" (ok exaggeration for comical effect)

wait...wtf...were did my story come from anyway...

yea, my mom always told me to study for chemistry, I told her I knew it (which I did) and of course, I always got A's on the tests, usually setting the curve... Never opened the book once at home except for homework.

Yup, my grandparents are that way.... THey always tell me about jobs... Currently I work 20 hours a week at the school, mow my nieghbors lawn, and work for my grandpa... My grandma will go to sulllivans or walmart or something, and get home, and she is like, "I saw a sign, they are hiring at walmart." Everytime, I say, hint ote the effect that, I have a job, and its enough for me...

Nope. When I was a kid i used to do as I was told and not back chat. And if I did I expected a kick up the arse. Something kids need more of these days.

While I agree, I for one believe parents these days can be just as bad as kids can be.

I never have problems like this with my parents. While I believe you should be upset and have a serious talk about them signing you up for shit you didn't consent to (depending on your situation and age, of coarse), I don't think the way you handled it was right.

Well, they told me about it ahead of time, and told me... I would loose my truck for the summer, and all priviledges. So the basically forced me too... And I would loose a lot of respect if I didnt go... I am making it clear now that I dont want to go, and it is a waste of $650 though.

Eh, that happens to just about everyone.

Your doing the over-night camp thing eh? One week on campus for a major? You'll have fun. I did it and now I'm going there for school next year. I know it's hard to go in there for that after what's happened and still have an open mind but try it.

What I see it is... The parents want their kids to succeed at things that they never got to do which imo is wrong. I am a mom and my son is doing darn well! :) I have had bad situations in my life but never put my son in the crossfire so to speak. Always told him that I love him and will support him in whatever he feels he wants to do and right now that is a drummer! He is damn good at it too! The thing is, we live in an apartment so he is limited to the electronic drums but at least he can practice with the headphones on and not disturb the bitchy neighborsLOL I can understand if I was that neighbor and had to hear that at night. We do abide the rules. He says that most of his friends say I am a cool mom but I am not trying to be one, this is who I am.

What I see it is... The parents want their kids to succeed at things that they never got to do which imo is wrong.

That's what my mom told me. She says ever since I was little, my dad has been saying that I have to study and apply to MIT/Harvard/Princeton (Ivy Leagues). I guess it just grew into me. I really want to go to MIT now. Hopefully the fact that I'm a little different will support me and not drag me down. But yeah...I'm glad he did it though. I love math and science. I love computers. And all that was his dream. I just hope I don't fail.

Eh, that happens to just about everyone.

Your doing the over-night camp thing eh? One week on campus for a major? You'll have fun. I did it and now I'm going there for school next year. I know it's hard to go in there for that after what's happened and still have an open mind but try it.
Which one did you go to? I am going to the business one. Do you work at the shop down the road from MSOE?

Which one did you go to? I am going to the business one. Do you work at the shop down the road from MSOE?

I went for (and am going for) a software engineering one which will be taking place the same time as yours. You'll be sleeping in RWJ (the dorm hall with the cafeteria). Room numbers go as like (floor number)(room number) so what ever floor your on can you look and see if room 08 is facing the lake or not?

No. There is one close to there, but the one I work at is like 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic, and I live about 15 minutes away.

Since I mentioned the cafeteria I'll comment on their food. It's better than the crap public school feeds us. Still wouldn't call it "mom" quality but it's pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom