XBOX Live Connectivity Issue!!!Help!

summits

Baseband Member
Ok, so Ive been looking at several youtube videos on how to connect to xbox live without the wireless adapter and using your laptop. SO here's the situation:
1) I hook my XBox 360 to my Vista Toshiba Laptop via ethernet cable
2) I make sure I am connected to the internet through my house router.
3) I go to Network and settings and then to network connections.
4) I right click on my Wireless Network Connection and click on properties.
5) I go to settings and click both of the boxes for sharing.
6) I click OK.....then..."An error has occured while Internet Sharing was enabled"
So basilyy i cannot connect. What does th error mean and what can i do to get my laptop connected to my xboxlive.

i think you have to hook up the xbox360 to the router i don't think you can go through your laptop and onto the router.

could be wrong though

you can do connection sharing over you laptop, I have done it at one point and time. What your doing seems to be right though, does it give you an error code or maybe an entry in the error log??

It is an error code box tht pops up and then the box closes along wit the sharing box.So wutsa wrong?

So apparently Ive got i past the IP address...now it says my MTU is not sufficient. Ive checked my windows vista and d link router..Both have a MTU of 1500 and I am running on High speed internet from Rogers...

I guarantee it's the ethernet cable your using. It's probably a straight-thru. You need a cross-over to connect your XBOX straight to your laptop...

Consider this: a Cat5E cable consists of 8 pins, or 4 pairs. One pair is used for transmitting, one pair is used for receiving. The rest, typically not used.

Now, look at the end of the cable that's going to be connected into your laptop, connector side up, clip pointed away from you. Pins 1 & 2 (first pair) are going to be used to transmit. They're probably going to be colored WhiteGreen/Green.

Look at the other side of the cable, that's going to be connected to your XBOX. If the first two pins are the same color, that's your problem. The laptop is trying to transmit data to your XBOX over the XBOX's transmit pair as well!

This type of cable is fine if you connected your laptop or xbox to a modem or router, because the router and modem internally take care of the transmitting and receiving. But for two devices to communicate together without either of those, a crossover cable is needed.

Here you go: http://www.groundcontrol.com/galileo/ch5-ethernet.htm

You don't need a crossover cable. I've done it quite a few times without one. You are sharing the wireless connection and allowing incoming data to pass through to the router. Try turning off your firewall and see if that helps.

im pretty sure u do need a cross over cable, and if not maybe trying any way wouldnt hurt when conecting "xbox" to the "pc/laptop" oh and have u tryed changing the default gateway from ur ethernet card to the same as ur wireless adapter/built-in ip address?

You don't need a crossover cable. I've done it quite a few times without one. You are sharing the wireless connection and allowing incoming data to pass through to the router. Try turning off your firewall and see if that helps.

....That doesn't even make sense... One-way internet connection? Negative, Nightrider. All internet connections need to transmit AND recieve.

Allowing incoming data to pass through TO the router? So where is the incoming data coming from? The TV? Or is the internet magically floating in the air? I don't think he's trying to play xbox live at a starbucks WiFi hotspot. :rolleyes:

Or, how about this: The internet is being provided to his household by his ISP, coming over COPPER to his house which ends up at a jack, whether it be a coaxial cable jack or over a phone line if it's DSL. So, like I said, it plugs into the his modem via coaxial or a RJ11 connection on a phone line. From the modem, it probably is connected via cat5e ethernet into a wireless router, which is then transmitting AND receiving data, or packets, throughout the household, for other wireless devices to pick-up, and transmit back AND forth in order to communicate.

SO. His laptop probably has a wireless card, picking up the internet, coming from the router, coming from the modem, coming from the ISP. Plugged into his laptop is his xbox, which, coincidentally, in order to communicate with the interwebs, needs to transmit AND receive. Hence the importance of a crossover cable. Hope I made this simple enough for you.

Back
Top Bottom