Need a good router

i suggest netgear. they just seem to work well, simple as that. maybe even consider a wireless N one. will be future proof and should come in useful

Alright, that helps Freestyler105, so what's Wireless-N? I've not heard of that before.
A typical wireless router is 802.11g, or wireless-G (the 802.11 is the IEEE name for Wi-Fi, the G stands for the protocol). A router that supports 802.11n, or wireless-N, is just faster. All wireless-N capable routers are backward compatible though.

802.11g is 54 megabits/second, or 6.75 megabytes/second. 802.11n is up to 300 megabits/second, or 37.5 megabytes/second. In comparison, a standard CAT5 ethernet cable is only 100 megabits/second or 12.5 megabytes/second.
So basically wireless-N is just a lot faster.
The thing is, wireless-N isn't a finalized standard yet, which is why everything is "Draft N".

Keep in mind though, your wireless adapter must support wireless-N to get the faster speeds.

yes there are 4 types of speeds g is a standard now and n is the next step up.

just makes sense to be prepared. the N routers arnt too much more anyway, and most new laptops come with wireless N

A typical wireless router is 802.11g, or wireless-G (the 802.11 is the IEEE name for Wi-Fi, the G stands for the protocol). A router that supports 802.11n, or wireless-N, is just faster. All wireless-N capable routers are backward compatible though.

802.11g is 54 megabits/second, or 6.75 megabytes/second. 802.11n is up to 300 megabits/second, or 37.5 megabytes/second. In comparison, a standard CAT5 ethernet cable is only 100 megabits/second or 12.5 megabytes/second.
So basically wireless-N is just a lot faster.
The thing is, wireless-N isn't a finalized standard yet, which is why everything is "Draft N".

Keep in mind though, your wireless adapter must support wireless-N to get the faster speeds.

Go with the dLink N router its worth it. The signal strength is great! (but then again you need an N card). Its a little costly however if you have the money to spend on it I would do it. Linksys N routers, I hear are also good, however, i personally have always had horrible experiences with linksys routers, where I have i had to reset the router or reboot it sometimes even twice in a day. But then again I never did the firmware updates on my linksys routers. :)

all i know of is the 5 port linksys and mine works great we hav like 10 people on it and its fine. other companies, maybe netgear or cycsco (if they make them) but i don't know any better ones than them.

lol
cycsco

Linksys = Cisco home division
Yes Cisco makes routers ...

I have a Linksys BEFSX41 router, its rock solid i have around 4 months uptime now. Last time it was rebooted was during a power outage and it came back up by it self when power was restored to the house.

I have noticed that i have better luck when using a WRT54G as a wap compared to a router. When the WR54G does both routing and wlan it locks up alot.

WR54G is not a good router, but is a great wap

Dont expect 300 megabits from a N router, just like you never get 1000 megabits from a gigabit network.

Back
Top Bottom