I Cannot Ping my IP Address...

Marcx

Solid State Member
Hello,
I have an issue pinging(accessing) my IP address from the internet at work or friends place.
I can't ping my home PC (which is running XP) from the internet, at work. I have cable broadband internet, and a Netgear wireless router.
From the PC at home I can ping the IP address and it responds as it should.
I have wireless router, and I can ping the IP address from another of my home PC's too. But from over the internet I can't ping it.
Yes, I do have the correct external IP address. I am not trying to ping my internal IP (192.168.0.1)
I have no real idea why I can't ping from outside my home network. I do have ICMP enabled too. Could it be that my ISP is blocking ‘ping'.

I am just trying to ping my IP to see if my PC is reachable and up and running, because I would like to access my home PC over the internet. I'd like top access music, files, webpage, etc… I have apache web server setup and running. It works well from my home network. I have also set up an SSH server, for added security. It's a hobby for me, just learning at the moment. But I can't seem to access my PC at the moment outside my home network.

Thank you for your advice.

Try doing a "traceroute" (tracert is the command) to your IP address and that will tell you if the packets are even reaching your router.

Here's a visual example of the tracert command:

tracert.jpg

Yes, I checked my router settings, and they seem ok.
I have a wireless Netgear router. There is a check box for 'allow ping' and that is checked.

Yes, I checked my router settings, and they seem ok.
I have a wireless Netgear router. There is a check box for 'allow ping' and that is checked.

Ok, well I edited my previous post figuring you were smart enough to do that. So, try tracert and see what that does.

Go to IPCHICKEN.com to get the actual ip adress of ur home computer.....the 192.168.0.1 number sounds like a sub ip adress that a router assigns to a computer.

Go to IPCHICKEN.com to get the actual ip adress of ur home computer.....the 192.168.0.1 number sounds like a sub ip adress that a router assigns to a computer.

192.168.x.x is a private IP address but, he said he was pinging the IP assigned to him by his ISP.

I forgot to mention that each entry that appears when doing the tracert command is a response from each router the packets pass through (technically bounce off of but, it's easier to understand if you think of them passing through). If the trace completes, then the packets are reaching your home router. If the trace times out, then they are not and the router after the last one listed would be at fault. If you were doing this on a LAN then you could easily troubleshoot this. Since you're doing this over the WAN there isn't much you can do if the trace doesn't complete. That is, unless it's your router that's not responding.

Thanks for your prompt replies.
I am trying to ping my external IP address, as I mentioned in my original post, not my internal address (192.168.0.x).
I did try a 'tracert' on my IP, and maybe you are right Corey. I don't get a return once the packets leave the servers at work. It may be my router OR my ISP even blocking ping on my IP.
However, I can access my router config page over the internet as I have enabled it. I enter my IP address and correct port number, and I see my Netgear router webpage as if I was at home! cool :)
I would like to access my web pages residing on my Apache web server at home in this manner, but I can't... And I'd like to login to my SSH server that I have setup at home from over the internet. I can do all this from within my home LAN, but not over WAN...

Thanks for your prompt replies.
I am trying to ping my external IP address, as I mentioned in my original post, not my internal address (192.168.0.x).
I did try a 'tracert' on my IP, and maybe you are right Corey. I don't get a return once the packets leave the servers at work. It may be my router OR my ISP even blocking ping on my IP.
However, I can access my router config page over the internet as I have enabled it. I enter my IP address and correct port number, and I see my Netgear router webpage as if I was at home! cool :)
I would like to access my web pages residing on my Apache web server at home in this manner, but I can't... And I'd like to login to my SSH server that I have setup at home from over the internet. I can do all this from within my home LAN, but not over WAN...

Most routers come with an automatic block of ping- check inside your router for an option to allow ping (although this is not necessary, IMO). In order to view your Web pages on Apache from home, you will need to set the port forwarding to port 80 (Web pages), and to use the SSH, you'll have to forward the port for that as well (can't remember what that is off top of my head). Depending on the type of modem you have, you may have to do this within it as well. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply.
I'll give that a go, and i'll also do the same on my OS.
I believe I need to add the port numbers to the exceptions list in the firewall (Im using standard XP firewall)
I hope that works... :)
I'll let you know.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom