How do I fix what spyware has done?

NSlover92

Beta member
Hey Ya'll I recently got spyware, and it flooded my PC I installed both AVG Spyware (free) and Spyware Terminator, Disconnected my PC from my Modem so it wouldnt keep popping up. I ran both scans and picked up and deleted alot and ran AVG again and picked up 23 more and took them out, I am going to run it one more time to try to get anything left. But I have XP and it took my start menu and took off the whole rightside of the start menu including my document, my computer and control panel adn what ever else is over there. And it took off my Switch User Button so I cant log out. And it has taken out my CTRL ALT Delete function it just says it has been disabled, and finally my clock says the time in what I think is millitary time and says "20:13: VIRUS ALERT!" It wont let me change it, finally it wont let me change my background or any of those display setting and it is stuck 800x600. How do I fix all this? Thanks guys have a good one. Mike

If you have a recent backup of everything, I would cut your loses and format the Whole hard drive and re-install a fresh copy of Windows XP. It sounds like your computer is really heavily infected.

I agree with mr pickles, somewhat. Your computer is heavily infected with viruses/spyware/adware, but I wouldn't recommend a reformat just yet. Before you do any of the below, try to backup as much data as you can!! Some tried and true programs I would use in a situation like this are:

Spybot- Search and Destroy (Free)
AdAware SE (Free)
Avast! Home Edition (Free)

You can easily find and download the above by searching Google. Attempt to get these three programs installed on your PC. Once installed, update and run. You may want to start the computer in safe mode with networking (reboot and tap F8 until you see the text selections, highlight safe mode with networking, enter). Run all these programs, remove what it finds. Reboot. If you have your orginal XP disc, pop it in, disconnect the modem, and go to start>run and type "sfc /scannow" without quotes. This will help alot, due to entries in the host file, etc. Another note, is to turn of system restore while performing these actions. If you don't want to potentially go through hours of this- then a reformat is suggested, after you backup your data.

Is reinstalling copy of windows is only one thing that can be done?

It's pretty much the only thing that can gurantee that everything will be deleted and full functionality restored.

If you do'nt want to do that, the best you can do is keep running different scans both in regular and safe mode. Add Hijack this and NOD32 (trial version) to the list mike gave you.

Don't worry.....
Step 1
1. Run antivirus/antispyware deep scan of the system.... Make sure the definition are up-to-date, if not, the latest spyware won't be detected and your computer is still infected.... FYI: The spyware should be removed after you scanned them..... If it fails, proceed to step 2
2. Google search your spyware information on the Internet...There should be plenty of them available online... if you need to, try to download the virus remover from the vendor (Norton, Kaspersky,.....)
3. If all of these fails, then this would be your last chance. Windows is equipped with a feature called System Restore. What it did was to restore your system back to its earlier state in order to reverse the harm that the spywares has done. You need to remember when was your computer was uninfected.. To do this, follow this step
i. Go to All Programs
ii. Go to Accessories
iii. Go to System Tools
iv. Go to System Restore
v. Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time
vi. Select a Restore Point
vii. Follow the instruction next.. and you're done....Cheers
Any question, just reply me back....

Give the COMODO products a try. The anti-virus and firewall. They will ask you permission for literally everything that is being done on your computer (When at the highest security setting). So after you have had scans, you turn this one for a while, and you will be able to tell whether there's any left or not.

Back
Top Bottom